1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Dirty Pipes

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Harleywyld1, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Harleywyld1

Harleywyld1 New Member

This one has probably been beat to death before but I am unable to find it on the site.
    The ol lady's boots got black crap all over my pipes this weekend. What have ya'll had the best luck with in cleaning pipes?
    Thanks for the suggestions.
  2. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

I have been using ReNew Metal & Chrome polish on qll of my chrome including the exhaust system. I had some prety bad I-don't-know-what-the -heck-they-were-spots on mine and this stuff cleaned them well. (My bike was an 11 year old hardly-broken in baby when I bought it).

There does NOT appear to be any harsh abrasives in this stuff (good), but it does take a bit of elbow grease (bad - unless you want to be the Karate Kid) on the really bad spots, but once the boot polish is cleaned, clean all the rest of your pipes and it should blend in well.

I bought mine at Checkers Auto parts. Website for ReNew is www.valuesmartproducts.com

Following from their site under "ReNew Products":

ReNew™ Multi Purpose Metal & Chrome Polish

Quickly and safely restores chrome and metal in your home or auto to like new condition. Our unique formula will not scratch or damage surfaces and leaves a high-gloss shine. Cleans, polishes and protects chrome, aluminum, brass, stainless steel, copper and pewter.

Size Item Number UPC Number
    8 fl.oz. 111 673852001114
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  3. Harleywyld1

Harleywyld1 New Member

Thanks

Thanks AZ
    I live in the land of wallyworld here on the east coast so if anybody has it I know I can find it there.
  4. ridehard95

ridehard95 New Member

No sweat

Take a single edge razor blade and easy go over it till most of it comes of like you shaving it. then use carb cleaner works great
  5. stevenh

stevenh New Member

I've used PVC pipe cleaner took it right off. I heard of using easy off too.
  6. Lobucrod

Lobucrod New Member

My suggestion is to give the ole lady a straight edge razor blade and some fine steel wool and point her in the direction of the burnt on crap.
  7. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

steel wool will work as long as it is chrome it will scratch stainless though, never used a razor cant say nothin bout that.
  8. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Single edge razor and brake cleaner, worked for me after I melted My rain gear on my pipes one time. :rolleyes:
  9. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

goof-off...
  10. bikerjim1

bikerjim1 Moderator

WD-40 and elbow grease.
  11. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

trivia question

Does anyone know what WD-40 was originally designed for??
  12. bikerjim1

bikerjim1 Moderator

Water displacement, formula attempt number 40.;)
  13. 2fastnaz

2fastnaz Moderator

For the USN
  14. ridehard95

ridehard95 New Member

Your right thats the best way I know how to get it off LOL know thats some wise words from a true biker
  15. Tomflhrci98

I read somewhere that WD-40 was originally disigned to clean tape residue. The gunk that is left behind after you peal off tape and stickers and the like.

Apparently it sells better as a spray-on lubricant, but originally it was a cleaner.:rolleyes:

I used it after I removed the cheesy side reflectors off my bike when it was new.
  16. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

Courtesy of : howstuffworks.com

I think BikerJim should win a free can of the stuff. By the way, it is NOT a good lubricant. There are far better lubricants out there, so go ahead and use it but still apply oil or grease to the part(s) if required.

WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed WD-40 back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion -- a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula on his 40th try.
  17. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

this would make a good poll ( what is your favorite spray can pen/lube combo) I see if I can figure out how to set it up.n:confused:
  18. Tomflhrci98

I guess I gotta stop reading Readers Digest.
    I owe bikerjim a can o' displaced water.
  19. Seahag

Seahag New Member

The easiest method is to ride your bike till the pipes are good and hot, spray on some easy off or other oven cleaner, and wipe right off.
  20. Texas Road Glide

Texas Road Glide New Member

the easiest way...........bit$% get your as$ over there, and start cleaning!!!!!!
    dude you would be my hero, smirking, i promise to bring you smokes while your having a short stay at the hospital!!!!
    Guilt works better........ it's ok baby those were only 600 dollars pipes!!!
    now look at them!!!!!! i just have to order new pipes.........unlees you can get it off some how???
    never mind..........
    my wife to this day still gets her boots all over my pipes, and i have floor boards go figure.
    hot pipes and wd-40 works great for me........
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2006