1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Doctors Can really mess you up

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Jan 8, 2008.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

On January 2nd I wound up in the hospital emergency room. I fell unconscious and went into a full seizure. I got pretty banged up and am still pretty sore. My tongue feels like raw hamburger. My drivers license was pulled automatically and have not been able to work. I don't remember much of it and came to in the emergency room. Really sucks when they ask you your name and you can't even remember who you are.
    Went to the Dr. again today and was told that I would be able to return to driving as long as I don't have another seizure in the next 30 days. I asked him about riding and he said it to would be OK if everything else works out in the next 30 days. I'm assuming they want to be sure that something else is not going on to.
    Apparently the very Strong anti-biotic medication (Metronidazole in 500 MG tablets 3 times a day and generic for Flagyl; plus SMX/TMP 800/160 DS 2 times a day and is generic for Septra DS) I was taking that was prescribed to me for an intestinal infection I got before Christmas is what triggered it, that's according to the Dr's today. The doctors told me that this medication is pretty powerful stuff and that the Metronidazole can be associated with seizures, great. However I'm not allowed to drive for 30 days, good thing its winter. So my wife gets to drive me to work for awhile when I can go back.

We have decided unfortunately to go ahead and sell my Springer sense I'm still making payments on it.
    I'll keep the Ultra as it is paid for as long as I'll be able to ride again.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there are no other problems and yes I'm pretty upset with the Dr. who prescribed this stuff to me.
    :cussing:
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Man that suck's , Hope all turns out good for you (it will) , any time a doc gives me a new pill to take if he wontor can't answer my questons I look it up
  3. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Sorry to hear that... Hope you can get back on your bike soon...:)
  4. 02dyna

02dyna New Member

Hope your feeling better soon.
  5. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

I take a small amount of various meds, and I find that the web site “Web MD” is a good source of information, you can look up and find any and everything about medications you are prescribed.
    Anyway… hope your well.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

sorry to hear about the mishap.....it almost sounds like the dr tried to kill you....the thing about dr's, and it is found in no other profession, is they are licened to"practice"........would you take your car/bike to someone that is licesned to practice????? what about getting your homebuilt, wiring done.....kinda sucks huh?? :witsend: :rant:
  7. chucktx

opps.....the scum suckin lawyers are liscened the same way....
  8. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Get better soon! At least your bad news has a good side to it - that the meds brought on the seizure is a whole lot better than other things that bring them on. Just sucks that it had to happen in the first place.
  9. TM103

TM103 Active Member

Get back on there soon FLHT. Don't letem get ya down.:)
  10. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Man Marc! That's scary. I'm sorry you are selling the Springer, I know how much you like the bike. I'm hoping you're done with the seizures. Be careful out there.
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Wife checks all prescriptions before filling on WebMD, found some things she just won't take based on problems with medications.

You do have to be careful, also are you taking your prescriptions to the same pharmacy? If so the pharmacist should tell you if there is a problem usually their systems will match up things that might cause problems.

One other thing I see and I do, you pick up a script and they ask if you want to talk to the pharmacist and most people say no. Next time say yes and ask about side effects and tell them the other stuff you take then they will let you know.

And yep it's a good thing it was medicine that caused the problem, that means you'll be driving and riding soon!

Reminds me of the song, 30 days in the hole!
  12. HAMSHOG

HAMSHOG New Member

Sorry to hear about your episode. Hope everything gets better quick. Doctors are human too, and do make mistakes. I'll take them over a witch Dr. or spiritual healer though.. Get well soon!!!
  13. FLHTbiker

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I'm slowly getting back to normal , I think we must heal slower as we get older.
    That web MD is a sight I now have book marked on my computer and most definitely will use it in the future.
    It's funny I did talk to the Pharmacist about the meds and all he said was no alcohol at all while taking them and for three days after taking them.
  14. chucktx

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!NO BEER!!!!!!!!:gah:

.....:roflmao:
  15. FLHTbiker

Yep Chucktx and no Jack either to help bring in the New year. :cussing: :angry:
  16. 2fastnaz

2fastnaz Moderator

That should have been a warning sign right there. :D Good luck man I hope it all works out for you.

A friend of mine had all his hair fall out from some script he was given for migranes.

I won't go see a croaker unless I can't stop the bleeding
  17. SK

SK New Member

Glad you're feeling better Marc. Flagyl has been around a while and is powerful stuff. What kind of intestinal infection did they say you have? Both meds are anti-infectives (Septra DS is a combo by itself) and the combo sounds like the the doc doesn't know the exact organism, so they're hitting it from all sides. Are you done taking the flagyl, or did they take you off of it. I'll bet your stomach didn't feel so well taking it.

Any way..glad you're ok. Stay off the bike until you're sure all's ok. Sorry you have to sell the springer..I know you love that bike.
  18. FLHTbiker

SK, they took me off that stuff immediately and told me to take Amoxicillin. I just wished I would have known more about it before taking it. The thing with Kaiser I'm finding out is it seems they try and do things cheaply and it shows when in situations like this. The Dr. still does not know if I really had a intestinal infection or not. He just assumed I did but was not sure. They are also just assuming that the pills they gave me like the flagyl are what caused the Seizure as they didn't do any other checking except monitor my heart in the hospital.
  19. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Really sorry to hear about your health issues. Hope you are back in the saddle soon!
  20. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Damn that sucks, hope your better soon. Glad it worked out Ok, it sounds like it could've been worse!