1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Don't run out of Gas

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Nov 3, 2010.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Get a new bike with the 6 gallon tank. :)
  3. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned A-Hole

And that's an important concept for all of us.

The bike that best suited my needs this year would flash its fuel warning icon at 50 miles. No biggee, I bought the bike to cruise in local areas. I did have to consider modifications.

I could have easily swapped out the tank for one of similar design from a Nightster, and that's the rub.

I'm glad that newer Sportsters dampened the vibration and have EFI. So youz pays your money and youz takes your chance. I think bikers have always been tinkerers.

In the end I decided not to modify the bike. If I need a touring bike I'll get one. My concern is that MoCo has not found a reliable way to design a reserve tank into bikes with EFI.
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Don't need a reserve tank on the EFI with the low warning gas light.
  5. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned A-Hole

Your are indeed correct in my case. We have off-ramps every eight to ten miles on 39/90/94 and numerous gas stations. It's just a hassle, and sometimes inconvenient.

For example, I had to take a pair of boots over to the cobbler. The best one is 53 miles from my home. I have a roll on my luggage rack on the smaller bike, and it was perfect for the job.

The best way to both get there and return involved going around Madison from the north, or using the paved gladiator school we call "The Beltline." To add to the problem, we are famous here for summer road construction and the resulting detours.

Clearly, the best bike was a light city bike. The downside is always planning for gas stops. I'm getting good at this type of planning, however it's always a constant factor.