1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Drag/street racers tire question

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Bill Rebman, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Bill Rebman

Bill Rebman New Member

I need a good rear tire... size 150 80 B 16 for a FXR for street / drag that has max traction on dry pavement ...are there any current drag / street racers here that have done comparisons with different tires and that have found one that is THE BEST? mileage / wear is not a concern and the current tire on the bike is a Dunlop Elite K 591 and is unacceptable. only racers need to answer thanks
  2. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

first,stay away from dunlops,most are for milage,not traction.second,if your serious,****can the 16" wheel and get a 17",tons of good sport bike tires avaliable (most guys like SHINKO)third,dont get crazy with air pressure,alot of guys will let tons of air out,these arnt slicks and are not made to run like that,most traction will be had about 4 #`s under recommended pressure
  3. Bill Rebman

Bill Rebman New Member

thanks I guess with the 16 there is not amything that will work well. I should look into getting a 17" as you suggest. By any chance are you the guy called "curly" ?
  4. prodrag1320

no,but curly jim races in my class.he lives about 10 miles away.16" tires are all pretty much just cruising or touring tires.lots of good choices with 18" too
  5. Bill Rebman

Bill Rebman New Member

thanks for the info
  6. prodrag1320

not only are there better tires avaliable in 17" & 18",but the wheels are usually alot lighter,less rotating weight is free HP
  7. Bill Rebman

Bill Rebman New Member

yes supposedly 7 lbs = 1 HP and unsprung weight means better agility or handling they say, but all the issues of wheel selection to fit the present fender opening, axel, spacers, bearings, gear ratios, rear sprocket, disc brake etc. all make it a hit or miss situation for me. If I could use all my present parts and only have to change a wheel and tire and if a 17 (which is only 1 inch larger) would not change the ratio in any kind of a significant way it may be something that I might be intereted in.
  8. Bill Rebman

Bill Rebman New Member

I forgot to mention that a 150 is the largest tire that will fit with my present swingarm. The high performance tires start with 160 and go larger so the fender and swing arm would probably have to be changed