1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

draggin starter

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by beau44, Feb 15, 2006.

1. beau44

beau44 New Member

My 1980 Fx with both kick and electric start is givin me fits, I have installed a new starter shaft because the ole one was broke, a new soleniod, new relay, all new wiring, fresh new battery and the starter still drags when trying to use it, the motor is just an 80 incher, I am thinking that my starter is not grounded good enough, I do have good ground at the relay. Its to cold out to mess with it right now but I am thinking that I should hook a meter at the starter to see how much voltage is getting to it but if anyone has any ideas please feel free to toss em in .

Thank Ya
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

have you checked the starter itself?? the bearings could be bad, causing a bind and also letting the armiture misalign with the fields....how are the brushes?......just throwing out some "ideers".......
    chuck
  3. oldsuperglide

oldsuperglide New Member

Need to check the length of starter shaft. Could be wrong length. there are some differances in OEM parts from late70's to81. Happened to me a few years back. 80FXE.
  4. beau44

beau44 New Member

I checked the length, it was the same, was havin the problem even before it broke, am going to take the starter off and rebuild it, lord knows how long its been in service before I bought the scoot