1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Dragging Clutch

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jazzhog, Oct 29, 2008.

1. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

OK... Here's my dilemma. About six weeks ago I developed a drag in my clutch. I adjusted the clutch at the primary and lubed and adjusted the cable. I had never adjusted the clutch or cable my self since I bought the scoot. The scoot is an 2001 fatboy FI. According to the adjustment the clutch was definitely out of adjustment. Took the scoot out and still had the same symptoms. When I stop at a light is hard to get it in to first from neutral. Shifting from first to second and third is also hard. Down shifting into neutral is also hard. Now before this issue started the scoot was smooth no problem shifting or finding neutral.

I did the adjustment twice just to make sure that it was fine. Before this issue I was running Amsoil in the primary and trans, since then I had switched to redline MTL primary and shock proof for trans. Now I get a lot of good feedback on this lubricant and they're saying that the change of lubricant is not the problem. When the scoot is cold it shifts pretty good is only when it gets to operating temperatures that it starts to do it. So, with all this said what do you cats on this board point to so that I can possibly rectify this issue?
    PS the scoot has about 20,000 K on the clock... Thank's in advance, "JAZZ"
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Adjusting the clutch.

1) Loosen (collapse) the adjuster behind the front wheel
    2) Loosen the adjuster nut and back off the adjuster rod
    3) Move lever in and out to set balls in cams in trans cover
    4) Pull clutch lever in next to grip and leave there
    5) Turn in Primary adj rod watch lever, it should move out, keep turning until the lever moves out 100%, then back off 1/2 turn.
    6) Hold rod adj with allen and tighten down jam nut
    7) Fine tune the adjuster behind the wheel, I check adjustment by pulling on the clutch cable away from the lever housing, I look for a dime to nickels width between the end of the cable cover end and the lever housing when you pull the cable back.
    8) Lock it down.
  3. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

Hotrod
    I've adjusted the clutch about 3 times, and I've heard of different methods on adjusting the clutch but when you said.
    5) Turn in Primary adj rod watch lever, it should move out, keep turning until the lever moves out 100%, then back off 1/2 turn.
    Someone else said to do it like that but they said just to turn in the adjuster till the lever just starts to move away from the hand grip. Then you hold it and lock it. If you let the lever move out 100% then back off 1/2 turn wouldn't the clutch have to much adjustment and it would be liable to slip? I don't know I'm just asking, the HD service manual doesn't even have that kind of detail.

BTW I removed the clutch pack just to rule out any type of friction or steel plate damage. They all look good no blueing, warping and no burnt smell. I'm going to re-install it and then I'm going to re-adjust the clutch as per your instructions and see if that works.

I have to tell ya though, I'm starting to suspect that my problem is not the clutch and it's probably in the gearbox. The reason I say this is cuz it wont go into neutral from first gear even when I'm going ever so slow. After I stop it goes right into neutral very easy. First, second and third shifts pretty hard, forth and fifth are pretty easy. Also when I down shift It feels pretty hard, not normal it dint do that before. In your opinion what could cause this kind of problem in relation to the transmission?
  4. hotroadking

You do the final adjustment at the adjuster on the cable behind the wheel, you can turn it back 1/4 turn or until you feel the adjuster come off the rod, you don't want constant pressure in there or you'll eventually burn out the throw out bearing.

You could have a bad throw out bearing, its under the trans cover on the exhaust side, put the bike up on a set of 2x6 and lean over on the stand to get the fluid away from the trans cover, drop exhaust and remove cover to inspect the throwout bearing, it's on the end of the rod going into the rear trans shaft (main shaft) you can tell if it's toast.

You could also have a poorly adjusted primary tensioner, but I thought they were automatic in your year.

If you have to keep adj clutch to get it to work I'd say it's probably that the throw out bearing is toast.
  5. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

Hotrod
    I really don't have to keep adjusting the clutch because it goes out of adjustment. I adjusted the clutch 3 times cuz I just wanted to make sure that it was properly adjusted. The shifting problem is always there. When the scoot is cold it shifts pretty normal as soon as it hits normal operating temp. it starts get hard. The clutch assembly checks out OK. The throw out bearing is pretty simple to inspect I'm going to check it out, that very well be the culprit in this case. Thanks for your help...
  6. hotroadking

Remember to get both wheels up on blocks (I use 2x6's) so you can lean it over farther and not spill any gear oil (well much) when you pop the cover, be sure you get a fresh trans cover gasket.

If you run redline heavy in the trans it's going to be pink everywhere so give it some time to drain to the other side.
  7. hddoc94565

hddoc94565 New Member

Two other things can cause the hard shifting,Primary to tight or improper belt tension. i would check your primary first as you said that the problem occurs as bike warms up. the primary grows as it heats up causing the chain to tighten is best to adjust it to the loose end of the spec. heat expansion is even more if the inner primary cover is chrome. Good luck...SP
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hey jazz....i am not going to add to this post, gonna wait untill ya tell us if ya got it or not..........but i love your new sig pic......kicks ass!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
  9. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

Thanks Chuck... Just a little hobby I developed since I started to learn computers. Not that I'm some kind of computer wiz Chuck, but definitely a great tool when is utilized in accordance with moral standards... Agreed? ;)

Hotrod
    OK... I re-installed the clutch pack last night but, DUH... I forgot to pick up the outer primary gasket. I'll get the gaskets today and try to complete the job. Then I will check out that throw out bearing. I really hope that is the problem cuz is a pretty simple fix. If the problem is in the gearbox then I believe that is out of my hands. Unless you cat's on Bike Talk can walk me thru it... Respectfully, "JAZZ" :cool: