1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Drive belt replacement

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Nov 16, 2009.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

had a HD mech tell my bro-in-law yesterday that I needed to remove the front (trans) sprocket to put the new belt on , I read my SM & it did'nt say anything about it , unless I was changing it out to a new sprocket
    Help:(
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

That's right, and you put the new sprocket on before you install the belt.
    Here's a good link
    Belt Install 1
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

That is a good link to HH's site.

However unless the pulley is worn out you don't need to remove the sprocket
    you will need to remove the entire primary and you will need to get the belt over the swingarm

On a softail you slide the pivot shaft bolt to the side drop the spacer and
    slip the belt through, put it over the mainshaft to the trans pully

For an FL, with rear wheel removed you have to pull out the pivot shaft for the swing arm and then slip it over the swing arm between the frame and swing arm then pull up and over the pully. It might be easier to simply remove the pivot all together and pull swing arm back.

If you have the swing arm off, I would strongly suggest you upgrade the black donut rubber stabilizers on each side of the swing arm. If your's have two ribs on the side they are the old style, the new ones are better and stiffer and have three ribs. Also coat the pivot shaft with anti seize and reinstall.

You should end up with less vibration and a stiffer rear swingarm (unless the bike is new and you just beat up the belt to impress some hottie that walked away after you popped the belt and laughed at ya)

Point is you're in there and that is a ton of work so might as well update the bushings and replace ALL seals in the primary
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

good link lucifer......
  5. cowboy

thank's to all & thank's for the link , I've been that far , put the swing arm back on & the rear wheel to see if the 136 tooth belt would fit , no luck , as my book calls for a 139 tooth so have to wate till tomorrow & call the dealer for a 139 T belt , the swing arm bushing did'nt look bad 03 with just shy of 60K miles & no i was'nt showing some hottie how bad the bike is :roflmao: My son tell's me how she will drag the fish tails with front end up , so I know how the belt was pulld to it most :eek:
  6. hotroadking

check the bushings
    if they have two rings, replace them, newer ones have three, updated and upgraded
    will improve handling...
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

8. cowboy

Ok HRK have the three ring bushing already in there came with them
    have all new seals & metel bushing for trans in shifter as well & jackshift will be tomorrow along with the new belt from A HD Dealer all for just under $300 , I also got to ride my bro-in-laws redone 2000 Super glide about 50 miles round trip very inpressed with the work done (95 kit & cams I think sw23) & some head work cant remember about the head :D
  9. hotroadking

good nuff
    at least you'll be setup tight

with the FL the handling is important to stop the wobbles

so make sure it's all tight!
  10. cowboy

well it's still setting on the jack :( I've been helping My Daughter & son-in-law work on there house it's almost ready to move back into since Ike hit a little over a year ago just need a few hours to my self & she'll be back up & riding down the rode :D
  11. quietone

quietone Active Member

Just got done changing the belt on the fxr last week, didn't have to do a thing with the sproket on the tranny but put a new belt around it. Had to pull off inner primary and one side of swing arm, but no sprokets. Still took me 8 hours to do it thou
  12. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

That looks worst than rebuilding the motor !:rant:
  13. cowboy

qiutetone there's some seals & a bearing race behind the belt sprocket & after almost 60K miles I replaced it & all the seals good to another 60K , I i thought while I was in there might as well do it right instead of having to go back in
  14. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

While replacing the mainshaft and drive gear seals, you may as well do the trans shift shaft seal also. It is usually the first to start leaking. To get to the mainshaft seal you'll have to pull the inner race on the mainshaft and install a new one, they're cheap.
  15. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

nice to see ya posting again vybr8er.........been wondering where ya been......
  16. cowboy

vybr8er yes we did that one as well , have buddy who works(did) for one of the local dealers & he came over with some of his special tools & gave me a hand :cool:
  17. cowboy

well lasr night I took my own time & went to put my bike back together doing good till I broke a bolt for the inner primer , went back today got the bolt out no trouble at all got all the primer chain & clutch in TQ down real good & my son ask me Dad where 's you starter gear :banghead: damn thing still in the box right where I left it :cussing: , so now it all come 's loose again tomorrow & know will be here to bother me or call me to do this or do that for them wife & kids all have to work :cool::roflmao:
  18. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Can see you ain't learned how to run them off when yer trying to take care of business.:rant:
  19. cowboy

Nope , cause my kids & grandkids have always come first for me , I can just go back & redo my mistake :D
  20. CalgBikeBum

CalgBikeBum New Member

Well if its any consolation , I had my inner and outer apart to change the quad seal on tranny and when i buttoned her all up... hooked up the battery and got "WHIRRRRRRRRR" no engagement from the starter gear? I pulled it apart (had to ride next morning no choice) and pulled it out. I looked carefully worked mechanism in my had and wouldn't you know it was in backward. However the manual showed it in that orientation ?? So I marked it in my manual properly and reinstalled . Voila' working perfect. Good thing wife kept the liquor flowing or I would have been chucking tools. HAHAHAH:D