1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Drive chain replacement

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by seabee, Jan 1, 2011.

1. seabee

seabee Active Member

I know this will be going back a ways. I have a 1981 FLT, with the enclosed chain.I want to do away with the mess the oil makes. What do I do to put a sealed chain on the bike. Will a standard chain work? What chain would be used. A 520 and how many links? It have a 46 tooth sprocket. I really don't want to pull the chain out to count the links, my thought was to hook the new chain to the old one and pull the new one through.
    Thanks,
    Bill
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

that will work........then put it on the sprocket and use a chain breaker to press it apart.....
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Yep hook the master link to it & pull it , it will follow it righ on threw then do as chucktx said & your good to go :cool:
  4. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

Your chain should be a 530 chain 102 links long. How old are the sprockets? If many miles you might want to change the sprockets.
    To put a new chain on worn sprockets can wear out the chain quickly.
  5. seabee

seabee Active Member

Thanks, for all who replied, that's what I needed to know. The bike is a real cheery, only 7856 miles since new.
  6. chucktx

wow.....would ya post a pic??? sounds really nice!!
  7. cowboy

Ya sounds like a nice bike so post a few pics if you can :cool:
  8. seabee

seabee Active Member

I've attempted to post a picture, but I need to figure out how to make my pictures smaller. It times out when I try to load them. I'll kepp dinging away at it.
    Bill
  9. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

With that few miles and an enclosed chain system I don't think your chain needs replacement maybe just adjusted...you can run it dry and just spray chain lube in the oil level hole...but the system you have protects the chain and sprocket and they last for a very long time compared to the open chain set up.
  10. chucktx

agreed.........
  11. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Your bikes repair manual should say exactly how many links your chain has. Mine does anyway. I have a new chain for my bike also. I snagged an excellent $180 +/- chain for $40 on eBay. It's some kind of special high strength sealed type.
    Do I need a chain breaker to take the old one off my bike or is there another trick to do it without buying the special tool?? c-clamp maybe? Can the chain be taken off the bike without popping out the master link??
    Good luck SeaBee!
  12. cowboy

Tommyc no , not easy anyway, you can use a small flat head screw driver to pop the clip on the master link & the back plate undo one side of the chain on bike & hook the new chain to it & pull from the under side & the new chain will pull though , It works best if bike is on a jack , but will work with bike setting on the kick stand
  13. chucktx

your old chain has a master link in it some where.....no way to get it on or off in one piece. you can use a diegrinder to grind the head of the rivet holding the plates together then use a punch to punch out a link. you will need to grind two together then punch both out. just like a master link.
  14. chucktx

if running a chain, a chain breaker is a great investment. worth every penny the first time you use it.....not all that expensive either.
  15. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Why do that Chuck? Wouldn't the master link be easier?
  16. chucktx

yes, but the question was to remove the chain without using the master link.....
  17. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Thanks Mr. Chuck. I actually wanted to know if I could take the chain off while still connected and not broken apart. I now know from your postings that that is not possible.
    I guess my FXE doesn't work like my old BMX bike~! bummer.
    It sucks becuase I want to swap the tranny on my bike but the more I get into it the more I find I need more and more speacialty tools.
    Thanks guys!
  18. chucktx

unless you are going inside the transmission/engine, no special tools are required that i can think of. all the tools you would need you can get from sears, snap-on ect. whoops.....forgot the most important special tool you will need.....the FACTORY service manual. some common sense helps alot..........something ol'cardboard forgets to use every once in a while!!!!:D
  19. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Yeah buddy!
    So far to convert my primary chain to a primary belt I have needed 4 speacialty tools.
    Clutch spring compressor, clutch hub puller for a Primo rivera hipo clutch, clutch hub holder, crankshaft collar puller. I think that's all I will need but the job is not complete yet. I have to pull the inner primary off now to get a puller arounfdthe crankshaft coller to remove it. Hopefully I won't need anymore new tools!
    Will I need to replace the tranny shaft seal after removing the inner primary??
  20. chucktx

i replace every gasket/seal i come across so i dont have to redo the job again. the transmission seal should be ok, as it is in the transmission case. there are seals in the inner primary that should be replaced. sorry for the statement about the tools......i made mine, but i have equipment to do so.