1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Dropped tip in transmission

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jp13, Apr 18, 2009.

1. jp13

jp13 New Member

Last week I am changing the oil in my transmission with mobil1 75w/90. I cut the top of the bottle off and threw it away. I put the blue cover on top of the spout until I was ready for it. When it came time to add the oil I knelt down and pulled the little blue cap off and it slips and falls into the trans dipstick hole. I tried with a dry-vac with a 3/16 tubing to no avail. Do you think it will damage anything or it will get chewed up. Any ideas or suggestions!! If I was at the carnival with a shot like that, I would of won the prize.
  2. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

my opinion is get it out of there, but in the same breath I have ran larger trans with the cap in them but again it wasn't meant to run on plastic. Gotta go but if no one else gives ya any ideas to easly remove it i will chime in later
  3. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Can you see it in the hole?

Get one of those spring loaded grabber things from the auto parts store to stick down in there and the three little prongs will grab it and then you can pull it out.

The only other way would be to pull the trans apart and that would be a pain in the ars.
  4. jp13

jp13 New Member

That is the funny thing I could not see it. It could of not went to the front the way the bike was leaning. I hope I was hallucinating , but I am sure because I could not find it.I am hoping to see some blue specks so I can change it out. I have put 200+ miles on it since. I do feel stupid thou.
  5. duke76

duke76 New Member

if it really bothers you you can take the side cover off of the transmission, that is usually pretty easy, and you should be able to get it out, but I would bet that if you left it in there it wouldnt hurt anything it is small enough it would just get chewed up but if it were mine it would bother me knowing that it was in there and I would constantly be thinking about it for a while anyway, Todd
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Me personally I wouldn't have even started it with it in there. If any plastic parts obstructed any oil passages you could do some damage. One thing are you positive it went into the opening, did you really check to see that its not lodged in behind and stuck somewhere in the frame or some other crevice.
  7. duke76

duke76 New Member

there is no passages in the tranny so you will be fine, oil just sits in a housing it gets pumped nowhere, the oil gets flung all over the gears, it isnt like a car automatic transmission, I wouldnt sweat it to much especially since you already drove it 200 miles if it was going to be ground up it already is and if it wasnt it is still sitting in the bottom of the housing, Todd
  8. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Its still a foreign object where it don't belong I still would remove it before starting which is to late now. So, hope you never have any problems down the road with it.
  9. Carl Blanchard

Carl Blanchard Inactive

Chew her up and spit her out !
  10. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

its in there and you already chewed it up then flush it and doit again you will be alright plastic is a forgiving substance, and as was stated there isn't anything to plug, if you didnt run it I have straightened a fish hook and taped it to a stick......waalaa (for future referance)
  11. jp13

jp13 New Member

I did fish around for about 2 hrs. I used the dry-vac with a small hose and a bent piece if rod. Where that little devil went is beyond me. Hopefuly it is chewed up and is history. I will change it out after about 5oo miles. Thanks for the ideas.
  12. whacker

whacker Active Member

I'd drain the oil into a clean pan and see what comes out ...you might get luky and it will come right out...Good Luck....
  13. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Don't know if I would go 500 miles before changing it eventhow the so called sealed bearing small stuff can still get in to them drain into clean pan & feel the trans oil if you feel any rough stuff clean it out real good & get new oil
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

FWIW it will get chewed up, I've seen bearings that have come apart and the gears chew them up into fine metal mush.

However, it could get into a bearing and block oil passage maybe,

there are small recessed areas in the cover, my bet is it's still hidden in there

Put the bike tires up on a single 2x6 each, then lean over on the jiffy stand, this pushes the oil to the other side of the tranny

remove Exhaust
    remove trans cover,
    Find object
    put on new gasket
    locktite bolts
    put cover back on,
    put exhaust on.
  15. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

HRK you forgot to say
    Ride off into the sunset when fixed right :D
  16. cardboard