1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Duel Plug vs Single Plug

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jan 18, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Are there any real benefits gained by having a duel plug head over a single plug head? If so, what are they or aren't they?
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

i've only used one once & that was way back in 1965-66 on my 65 yamaha 80 2 stroke get it from abuddy on mine & only used the second plug when the first one fouled out , just swap over the plug wire & good to go :D
  3. JohnnyBiker

So the bike can run on just one plug with a duel plug design??
  4. cowboy

ya mine did with no trouble at all as long as both plugs are seated tight , don't want a leak
  5. JohnnyBiker

then why on earth did they put two plugs in the head???!!!!:banghead::gah:
  6. cowboy

some of the Hot rod engines can benefit from the extra spark like a duel spark twince as much to burn all the fuel = more power :cool:
  7. JohnnyBiker

So in that instance a duel fire coil would be better than a single fire coil?
  8. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

not sure..some folks preferred a single fire
  9. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

A little bit of info here is needed: on a high compression engine, dual plugs do burn the fuel mix faster for more power. On stock compression heads (9.2-1), it's a waste of time.

I have a Jeep with the Hemi engine. It's 350 c.i., compression is 11.2-1, output is 350 ponies and the heads are dual plugs per cylinder. And yes, they make a big difference.

Dual fire ignition is a coil that fires in both cylinders each time (wasted spark- no advantage). Spark plugs are fired twice as often and have half the life. Single fire ignition fires only in the cylinder that needs the spark.
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Most of it had to do originally with getting a complete burn. Old shovel heads and pistons in high comp engines could benefit from bigger flame

Single vs dual has nothing to do with number of plugs. Dual fire coils fire on every stroke so you have wasted spark or energy and resulted in slightly rougher idle.

Single fire coils fire the plug only on compression/power stroke to ignight mix and that makes for better spark. And smoother running engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yup.....on older harleys you could wire the plugs together with a coat hanger and use and use another piece of coat hanger wired to one plug to the coil........and get home....sometimes stuff happens at a tittie bar...............a bit of electrical tape keeps things a bit safer..........:)
  12. olbill

olbill Active Member

BMW dual pluged the 1150 boxer motor to cure the lean surge they said the motor didn't have it was all imagination of the rider beemer beta testing again

olbill
  13. JohnnyBiker

Can you be a little more specific on this??
  14. olbill

olbill Active Member

I will try when BMW introduced the 1100 motor some of the bikes surged so bad on part throttle they were almost unrideable so everybody got tuners of some sort and fatten them up and it cured the problem but the mileage went in the toilet.at that time i knew the factory rep he was very aware of the problem but the boys at BMW turned a blind eye to the problem. Then the 1150 came out and boom twin plugs after a year or two of them surging they said the problem was in the combustion chamber design and the flame path wasn't working properly so they twin pluged it and it was a runner most of the old air head racers twin pluged their motors also. but again good old BMW ignored that there was a problem.I hope this helps to explain it a little better.they also had some more inexcusable problems that the public sorted out for them.I got tired of the attitude of the dealers and after 9 beemers i got out. So far i very happy with my Harley's i had a few minor problems but they have been addressed and no B.S.
    olbill
  15. JohnnyBiker

Ok, but it sounds like the major advantage for the dual plugs is for the higher compression engines. Ok, then why did HD start doing that when most of their engines are fairly low compression, (at least stock they are low CR)? At what CR is the dual plug really beneficial at??
  16. hotroadking

olbill, are you sure that was BMW, I thought only HD didn't take care of problems
    with bikes they knew about LOL
  17. olbill

olbill Active Member

I'm not an engineer but the older high end auto's of the past ran dual plugs my self i don't believe that compression ratio as much as combustion chamber design has much to do about dual plugs you can get cleaner burn and better A/F control and control high R.P.M. detonation two things you can't hear until it's too late. Besides it look's cool and it costs more to tune.

olbill
  18. olbill

olbill Active Member

You need to own a beemer that has problems and you will really appreciate Harley "IF" you get a service writer that has their head on straight.

olbill
  19. JohnnyBiker

See post #9. What is your response to that?? Are the coils for dual plugs and ignitions about the same as those for single plug? Or are they "beefier," for lack of better term, by this I am referring to the output of the ignition and coil?
  20. hotroadking

not beefier, they are just triggered to fire every time.

A stock coil dual or single is going to fire the correct amount of
    power to fire the plug.

It's timing of the spark not power of the spark...