1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Dunlop Elite 3

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 08XModel, May 9, 2009.

1. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

When the stock tires wear out I'm thinking of going with elite 3 tires. The oem tires have weird sizes and I don't know if elite 3 will work. The other problem is I have ABS and wasn't sure if I get tire size wrong if ABS will not work correctly. I trying to wear out the stock tires cause they really suck on rain grooves and tar worms. Any info would help.
  2. duke76

duke76 New Member

I just put tires on my king a couple of weeks ago and I was thinkling of getting the Elite 3s because I have heard so many people liking them and getting great mileage out of them, I am sure dunlop makes a size that works on your bike, I went with Avon Venoms just because I wanted Wide White Walls and the Elite 3s do not have them, although I really like the Venoms and they handle awesome, smooth as a babies ass, dont miss the dunlop 402s at all, I know I will sacrifice some mileage but the way they handle I think it is worth it, especially since I do all of my own tire work so it doesnt cost me anything to change them, Todd
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i have elete 3's front and rear on my 06 flht.....and i know they work on deluxe's....the 3's come in different sizes also.........
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I've got E3's on my RK and I like them a lot, only got about 1500 miles on them so far and a lot of that was in bad weather, I find they hold the road very well in rain and have hit some puddles I'm sure I would have hydroplaned thru with the stockers. Here's some sizes they offer;
    Dunlop TireElite 3 Bias
  5. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Tried the Elite 3 on my bike . Ran them 6000 miles and took em off and put Metzlers on. I like metzlers better.
  6. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

My 07 Street Bob is already set up for the HD "wide tire kit", which I'm considering when my stock tires are worn. I believe this takes it from 160 (stock) to 180. Does anyone happen to know if the Elite 3's are available in the 180 "Wide Tire Kit" from HD?
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

you could contact them....tire sizes are so screwy now days......
  8. bobton5

bobton5 New Member

I have the E3's on my wifes 800 Marauder, almost 10K and still look very new. No complaints with tar snakes or light/heavy rain. Bob
  9. 5558

5558 New Member

Have used Metzler ME880's and now using E3's. I like the 880's at first but after a short time the front developed cracks on the tread and sidewall. The rear didn't give me good mileage. Will not use Metzlers again.
  10. cardboard

The front Metzler I had on my bike had over 13,000 on it and still had thread left..

I've used metzlers for years. I've had them on the build wide glide I had to 138 mph on a GPS. 2 yrs ago and they did good.

I've used Metzler tires for years. You need to know who you buy yer tires from and how long they have been on the shelves.

I replaced both tires on my bike with metzlers, goin on a trip to Big Bend and all on the desert next week.
  11. 5558

5558 New Member

No problem with mileage on front tire just cracks. Tires were 3 months old when I installed them according to DOT codes. Talked to Metzler engineer at Daytona. He said that cracking was superfisal. I told him that I would take care of the problem, and I did. I put the E3's on. These manufactures should know the power of the internet. I will post negative feed back for Metzler.
  12. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

5558 did you check to see if they were the Metz made in Brazil?? They had issues with them. Sidewall separating was one , German made ones are fine. Country of origin is stamped on the sidewall.
    Last edited: May 14, 2009
  13. 5558

5558 New Member

Yeah they were Brazillian
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey are those the ones with the fuzzy stripe down the middle :roflmao:
  15. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Or perhaps the bubble butt version ?
  16. cardboard

I would of thought the ones with the problems from Brazil from 1 yr ago was gone by now.:banghead: