1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Dyna Visor removal HELP

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by FlynDutchman, Jun 19, 2007.

1. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Ok, so I've started the process of removing that stupid visor from my 97 Dyna headlight. Ive relocated the turn signals with the stock Harley kit, got a New set of drag bars & Ive been reading on line about a cover that you can buy that covers the area in front of the upper tree & tidys up all the wiring & crap that Harley stuffed in there, its even supposed to bolt right up using the same bolts from your visor. So I go to my local Harley dealer & wouldnt you know it...They've never heard of such an animal. My next search is on E-bay....Plenty of lower tree covers, but no upper. So now I'm gonna check with the people who would probably know or want one of these things....If any of you guys out there have heard of this cover can you send me a link or a name or part number to this thing... I wont lose sleep if I dont have it, but it would be nice. I have the stock 1997 39mm narrow glide FDX front end if that helps.... Thanx for the help

Steve
  2. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

If anybody cares to take a look....I posted the pics of this visor removal on my gallery page.....for having never done this before I think I did an Ok job....Had to relocate the turn signals, drill for the new headlight mount, & mess with the wiring a little bit plus move the speedo down to where the visor mounted but I think it was well worth it. The new handlebars are the fat 1 1/2 bars that handle the wiring internally. I like the look much better than the stock Harley "wire under the bars" crap. very sleek...(can ya tell Im proud of my baby now ??)
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i lilke the new look, and you should be proud. anytime somebody can enhance the looks or preformance of their machine, and not have to pay to have it done, is entitled to "strut" for a bit.....glad it all came together for you and a job well done to you!!!
  4. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Yea well....Like most Dutchman, I'm a cheapskate....They told me around $400 just to change the bars. I figured out how to do the work real quick that way.
  5. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

Looks great. A lot better with the wires out of sight.
  6. ReeseSS

ReeseSS New Member

The part you are looking for is made by "Headwinds" headlight company. This one has a window which I need for my 04 dyna but believe they also make one without the window. www.headwinds.com/images/6-0005.jpg
  7. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

I have a chrome cover for the top & bottom tree made by Rick Doss...the botom one needs to be modified to fit around my newly relocated turn signals & the top one wont allow me to mount the speedo where I have it now because theres all that wiring hanging down below the speedo for the idiot lights...Anybody know of a good small speedo I can switch it out with ??
  8. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Thanks...I thought so too...I like a front end to be un-cluttered
  9. 00 wildglide

00 wildglide New Member

tree cover

Hey Dutchman,
    I did a set-up on my FXD some years ago & used an upper tree cover from a sportster custom.This cover hides the indented area left from the o.e. headlamp visor.Ask your local dealer if you can see a parts supplement for a 883/1200 Custom Sporty,you'll see in there the cover i'm talking about.GOOD-LUCK!,00 wildglide.:cool: