1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

E10 gas

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Lucifer, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I heard on the news that Atlantic Canada is going to be getting 10% Ethanol this spring...what effects will this have on our bikes?? what effects on a hi compression Evo(10.5:1 static, 190ccp both jugs) and a Shovel engine that all I know about it is it's "not quite stock" and a fairly normal TC88(Stage 1 with a TW21 cam?? :confused:
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I have run 10% in my TC88 (2004 FLHT). With no problems. As to with the "upgrades"....no clue. Someone will be along shortly to add to your knowledge!!!
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

newer bikes are designed for e10. that said, your mileage and power will drop. i use an additive in mine....just to help things. chrome had an issue with her bike last year from e10 gas, destroyed her in tank fuel pump and strainer. she has been using a product, the name slips me, with no ill effects. she will see this and let us know what it is.........i use stabil...........
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I use e10 in my bike because that is all we can get. I have no issues with with power or mileage. You may have to rejet but shouldn't be a problem. I have 10.5:1 as well.

Hey ChuckTx, how can e10 eat a filter? I have an in tank filter and I don't have issues like that? Just curious??
  5. Wideglide85

Wideglide85 Active Member

I use E-10 in my '85 Evo once in a while with no problems, but I try to add some Seafoam to the tank as soon as I get home. Don't know if it helps, but it probably doesn't hurt.
  6. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I read that the ethanol attracts water so you should prolly keep the tank full or you may develop rust problems. Since the scientists know this and the fact that ethanol has 40%, or so, less energy than gas they have come out with a different formula - I forget the specifics - put if this new stuff is accepted by EPA then the new ethanol may get most of that energy back and repel water at the same time so then we will get to use more of it, such as, E20 or something.

Better for the farmers.
  7. chucktx

ya need to ask chrome......the mech. that changed the filter/pump out told her.......also showed her the parts and she said there wasnt much left, also was going to keep it for "show and tell" at seminars.......
  8. chucktx

i have heard that the boat motor mfg's. have a law suit against the epa for trying to use e15, as it destroys them..........i believe cardboard has more info on this.......he works on em........
  9. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

It may be good for the corn farmers but not for the environment or our high compression motors!! The refining process for ethanol is 10x more polluting than all of us drivin around 40 yr old lead burners!! The sh!t doesn't burn worth a dam and will carbon everything up, but some jack-ass told some other jack-ass that it burns cleaner :rant: So guess who gets stuck with it -- us :banghead::banghead::fight:
    Any type of octane boost and ejector/carb cleaner is a good idea!!
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I thought he just stored stuff on them....:D:D
  11. Lucifer

Thanks for the replies....so it looks like I'll be buying shiet for gas and fuel additives and hope everything runs well....damn goberment:banghead::banghead::cussing:
  12. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Here's a short technical description of E-10 and it's drawbacks. Ethanol (alchohol from corn) is being touted as cleaner than methanol (previous additive for higher octane). It isn't, and has been proven to be less efficient burning. It is cheaper for the refineries, so that's why they're using it.

E-10 is a 10% ethanol (max.) additive that is not recommended for use by ANY motorcycle mfr. as it is detrimental to the rubber compounds they use in fuel injection systems. On top of that, it separates from the gasoline after just a few days, turning to a gum residue that clogs carb jets and filters.

Lastly, it attracts water from the air and holds on to it in your tank. It will cause rusting inside a motorcycle tank (most cars have plastic now) if less than full. And the water will cause damage to the injectors when pressurized (engine running).

Some fuel additives you can buy are still only more alchohol, so no real benefit to them. I found one called Star Tron that I got from J&P Cycles that treats E-10 with pure naptha and an enzime that eats the water in fuel. An 8oz. bottle ($8) treats 48 gals. of gas--so it's not too expensive when you spread it out, but it really makes a difference since it boosts the octane.

My bike was begining to stumble when started from cold, and sometimes died. After using this stuff for 2 tank fulls, it starts and runs clean and smooth. I notice a little boost in power from the higher octane too, and the spark plug tips have that nice brown color again.

Now here's a little tip: you can treat your gas by adding about 1 oz. of naptha for each gallon gas. You can get naptha by buying Coleman Fuel (white gas for lanterns and stoves) at most hardware stores, and it is much cheaper than any additives, and does the same thing.
  13. alex the dog

I forgot to mention.....every state has now adopted E-10, so you won't be able to buy reg. gas anymore. It's a big snow-job pulled off by enviromental IDIOTS that think "bio-fuel" is the new magic solution to everything.

E-15 is on the horizon soon, even though ALL motorcycle manufacturers are protesting it's use.
  14. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I don't like to get caught up in whole global warming or climate change issue. I would rather think about the $700 billion dollars we give to the Arabs every year and how to reduce this for the sake of the USA economy. If I have to put up with a little less power to do that then I think it is my patriotic duty to do so.

Whether it's solar, wind, drilling, hydrogen, nuclear, or all of this - then that's what we have to do. After all most of this works towards clean air as well.
  15. Lucifer

16. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

We have an ethanol plant here in Chatham,Ontario,Canada it puts out more greenhouse gases than a coal burnin hydro plant!
    It burns with less emissions in your motor because there all refined out before it's added to gas!! Like I said it would be better for the environment if we went back to leaded gas - dumb stupid tree huggin morons should research this sh!t before they go jumpin on the solar powered "band wagon"
    :cussing::cussing::rant:
    So just make sure Tom you back what actually helps - just don't mention nuclear to anyone on the west coast right now!!
  17. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

18. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

All the more reason to get the ole still out dust it off and make yer own "additive" - worked fer Pappy. :D
  19. alex the dog

Ha!! Now yer talking. I'm for cleaner burning engines too, but the manufacturing of ethanol uses more energy (coal, nat. gas, fuel oil, etc.) and emits more polutants than if they would just refine plain petroleum. It doesn't make sense to pour 40% more polutants into the air from making ethanol compared to pure gasoline, and get an inferior product.

Star Tron is the product that corrects E-10 problems in your tank, but a gallon of Coleman Fuel (pure naptha) goes even further (1 oz. added to each gallon of gas) by increasing octane several points. The last time I bought a gallon can it cost $3.50, but that was 2 years ago. The downside is that this stuff is pretty volotile, so you don't want to carry it in your saddlebags. BOOM!