1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Easy Rider (the movie)

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by duke76, Jan 6, 2008.

1. duke76

duke76 New Member

:wtf: Well, last night the OL and I were looking for a movie and ran across Easy Rider, I know its an old movie probably older than I am. All I can say is that has to be one of the worst movies I have ever seen. It made absolutely no sense, especially the last half. The ending was one of the worst I have ever seen also. Didnt really care for the part where there is two grown men riding across the US on the same bike (looked a little homoish), If any of you guys understood this movie please fill me in. I dont understand it at all. I hate to go into to much detail as I dont want to ruin for someome that wants to watch it but I definetly would not waste my time.
  2. HAMSHOG

HAMSHOG New Member

I guess you had to be there at the time. If you remember the 60's, or 70's, you weren't there...:roflmao: :roflmao:
  3. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I was going to say the same thing, sort of. Back in the day...
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

it was a movie of the times. a lot of the events depicted actually happend to lots of folks, not just a few. it was about drugs, sex, communes and murder. drugs were for the most part recreational, not comercial for the dollar. there were lots of racial problems also. the "good ol' boy" attitude was very common in the south, hated hippies, yankees, blacks, reds,greens, you get the idea. if your really interested, do a little search on google for the history of the south in the 60'70's....you will be amazed by what you find, and it may help you understand the movies that came from that time, or are about that time frame.....:)
  5. bikerputz

bikerputz New Member

I haven't seen it in years and years but I remember liking it. It's kind of a cult classic but not a academy movie. Dam, getting old as dirt! :roflmao:
  6. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Yeah, I remember it being really weird too. Super low budget. I'm sure Jack Nicholson probably only made union wage on that one.:D

I'm sure it was meant to be watched stoned.
    Maybe I should watch it again :rolleyes:

Another Peter Fonda classic is Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry. Made a little more sense and I liked that one. It's not a bike flick though just fast cars.
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

OH Ya the Easy Rider , good movie seen it at A drive-In & like Chuck said if you did'nt understand it you weren't there or did'nt know of the life style I can still remember going through the south with my wife her first time over that way & she had a fit when she seen the white only rest rooms & water fountians , & how some people treated me with my long hair , Yes the times back then where different as the movie shows
  8. FriendGregory

FriendGregory New Member

I think I understood the movie. In some was it is a snapshot of what was happening at the time. My mom out grew her clothes more than wore them out and has quite a running history of the times for a woman of her age. When I was real little I wanted to be a hippy, I had no idea that it was a lifestyle not coming with a job. The lifestyle seemed happy and carefree. I think I still want to be a hippy. There was a lot more going on in the movie as I remember, racism, wanting to leave conformity and Harley's.
  9. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

:roflmao:

The movie wasn't about being understood! It was really Hopper, Fonda, Nicholson & Black and crew getting stoned out of their heads while cameras ran. Ever hear them talk about it? They weren't even trying to make a good movie - they just wanted to get stoned, paid & laid. Is it a good movie? No, and never was. There were elements of it that were interesting, and a whole bunch of :witsend: crap. Wild Hogs is far better! And, of course, The Wild One. Though I give the nod to Wild Hogs as it makes me want to get out and ride more.

You really need to be squished out of your gourd when you watch Easy Riders. Watching it sober will just piss you off with the poor photography, the wasted story with every stereotype at full throttle, and the total lack of acting....unless you think "method" acting where you get stoned to play a stoned guy is acting.:roflmao:

If you can write your initials or say the first 3 letters of the alphabet, you're too sober to enjoy this movie. Blasted to :puke: and you may actually like it! That's the only way I can enjoy it, at least....which reminds me, I do have it on DVD........:cheers:
  10. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

I watched it stone cold sober (been that way for 19+ years). I just took under consideration the time frame, who was in it (Hopper, Nicholson and Fonda) and realized it was just a movie about young folks enjoying the times they can before they hafta grow up and be something. I was just like that for 15+ years before I woke up. I feel like I wasted a few years, but we all learn sometime, don't we...:)
  11. Texas Road Glide

Texas Road Glide New Member

<<<<<<is living proof that there were good drugs in the 70"s
    now where did i put those bike keys???????
    the movie was not about good acting, or good directing, or even having a good plot, it was just about the "sign of times"
    if you look at it from that point of view, times sure have changed!!!!!

TRG
  12. SK

SK New Member

Jack can ride on the back of my bike anytime..though he weighs a lot more than he used to (with much less hair too).

I like Wild Hogs, especially Ray Liotta at the end. William H. Macy is always good.
  13. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

Well when that movie came out i was 14 yeras old....it left a big impression in my head to go get me a Harley and ride across country.But the red necked south was for real in those days...lol...they hated hippies and Harleys.

The movie Wild Angels with Fonda and Nancy Sinatra was very popular before the Easy rider movie back in those days....us kids back then all wanted overall and leather jackets to ride our mini-bikes with after we saw Wild Angels Movie.
  14. duke76

duke76 New Member

was looking at you tube today and ran across a whole bunch of video clips for easy rider , here is the most screwed up part in the whole movie, also the ending was very screwed up, I wont post that but if you want to see it, it is there

YouTube - Easy Rider Acid Trip
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  15. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

really a stupid part of the movie...lol...but I can say one thing about that part where Fonda holds his power fist up....it had a long lasting effect.Every time another biker went past ya on the road they always waved using the power fist from Easy Rider for many years.Not sure how long we did it,but it was a hanger...lol...
  16. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

I had a few interesting Acid trips back in the day... Haven't done it in years, but seemed like this one was kinda lame...:)