1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

?ecm recalibration-need it or hype?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by mad max, Feb 7, 2006.

1. mad max

mad max New Member

have an 06 deluxe w/efi (my first efi bike) i changed my exhaust to a true dual system.service advisor says do it if i want,it will improve "mpg" and smooth out some rough spots . another dealer says dont ride over 45mph till you get here now and do the recal ($218.95 rape job).?do i need it or not ,i have had only carb models before,new to efi!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i have kn filter installed already.
  2. CD

CD Guest

3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

the 06 should be able to handle most changes to the pipes and filter, however if you put on Rienharts they are huge and are probably leaning out the motor to some extent.

I would refer to CD's example posts and look to add a tuning device, then eventually get it dyno tuned.

The HD dealers are told to sell you their stage 1 flash you can do that but you can do other things too.

If you are a died in the wool must buy dealer services and parts then get the flash.

Bikes are lean from the factory. but you can go at least 52 MPH :D

or faster. LOL
  4. mad max

mad max New Member

appreciate the input bout the recal. i guess i will buy the pcIII there is an application for my bassani true dual pipes! what can happen though if i just run the $*#t out of it with no mods at all? in the old days we would just rejet the carb and ride!!!! times be changing yo! to date i have noticed no difference in performance.
  5. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

From my experiance after changing the air filter and pipes without the PCIII, I started sweating my b**** off...... felt like Christmas and roasting things in an open fire!! I have heard that prolonged riding with temps up there like that will hurt the engine...not sure how long that would take, but the way it was explained to me, isn't a pretty site! Good luck!
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Max

Basically you're doing the same thing today with EFI only you don't have to pull the air cleaner off, drain the bowl on the carb and frig around with jets, needles, air bleeds etc.

It's all electronic.

You can go to www.powercommander.com and see if they have a map that is close or e-mail thier tech support and they will tell you which map to run you download it FREEBEE over the internet and upload to the powercommander

The new Powercommanders are USB which is good because you can use a usb cable to hook up and program.

Best bet is to get a custom map done but download first and see how it runs if mileage is bad it's too rich if it's exceptional you're lean.

Then its time to tweak the map and a powercommander tuning center is a good thing.