1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Effect on warrenty with new pipes, etc

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by AFNurse, Jun 15, 2004.

1. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I am thinking about putting on new air breather, new pipes, and a power commander on my bike. Question I have is putting these on my bike, what will be the effect on my Warrenty? I have the 5yr extended warrenty on the bike, but don't want to "cancel" my coverage early due to mods! Anyone with input on this delema??? Thanks! :eek:
  2. fatboyvtwin

fatboyvtwin New Member

I would suggest that you have the HD dealership put on the breather kit and power commander. You could get by with putting the exhaust on the bike yourself. The problem with the breather kit and power commander is that both will change the way the bike requires air and fuel and spark. If by chance you put both of these items in your bike and something goes wrong like the (commander or breather kit makes the bike run to lean you could burn the bike up, the commander being faulty from the factor and frying the electrical system, etc.) Which in return will void out the warrenty. As I have stated before people can do there own service work such as changing fluids and doing minor adjustments that will not void out the warrenty. But when it comes to changing out electrical components and changing the air flow to the motor, this is a whole new beast. The extra money you will have to put out for the dealership to put in the commander and breather kit wil be worth the money if something goes wrong..Ride Safe David.
  3. CD

CD Guest

Warranty? What warranty?

First, there is a major difference between the manufacturers warranty and the "service contract" you purchased that is commonly called an extended warranty. The biggest and most important difference is that a manufacturers warranty is covered under the federal Consumer Protection act. Here is a link to a reference http://www.duramax.bizhosting.com/magnuson-moss-warranty.htm Under this act a manufacturer cannot void a warranty unless they can prove what you did caused the failure. It also prevents them from forcing you to use their products or services in order to keep a warranty. This act was a direct result of the old "use my oil and services or else" ploys the auto dealers used for years.

An extended warranty is a contract and is not covered under this act as I understand it. Since it is a "contract" for product protection other laws apply. I am a firm believer in the saying that only a fool buys an extended warranty and believes it will always protect them.

We used to sell new motorcycles and the F&I and extended warranty programs are shell games. The dealers get big kickbacks on the warranties sold and are free to add points to the interest over and above what they are approved to offer. In other words, the finance company offers the dealer financing at 3.5% for your loan. The dealer then adds on 1,2,3 or more points and makes the offer knowing he has a lot of room to knock off some of the extra points to close the deal. A dealer never looses on anything contrary to the sales pitch. The extended warranty is just icing on the cake as the get a big chunk of it also. The way it works is simple. The company offering the contract sells it to the dealer at a fixed rate for each model. The dealer then adds what he wishes or can scam out of the glassy eyed customer that is on the hook. The dealer can sell it at "list" and make a straight percentage or jack it up as much as he can. Meantime, the customer is drooling and twitching over their new ride and does not even bother to read the documents. We all have done it and we all have heard the stories.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

CD's right on, the part must be proven to have caused the problem, say you change pipes and the ECM fails, they can't void your HD warranty because of it.

Now the aftermarket warranty might have things in it that preclude coverage for bikes with non standard parts. So keep the stock stuff in a box and if it gets to that point, tow it home, pop on the stock stuff and tow it to the shop.

You shouldn't loose your HD warranty over any of the stage 1 stuff, talk with the SM on Stage 1 hop ups, ask him if they are a problem on warranty issues, get a feel for the dealers take. If he gives you grief ask the owner how he expects to sell lots of HD SE parts when the SM is preaching no warranty claims for SE equiped bikes. the magnusson moss act still applies.