1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

EFI Equipped Engines

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Sep 19, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

As I am reading the the manual for the SESPRT, it is explaining how the ESPFI system is designed and how it functions. So far from what I have read it is saying that there are specific steps that the ECM is taking.

My question is this....Why do so many people say that there is no real need to allow an EFI bike to warm up?? This manual clearly states that the ECM refers to a "Look UP Table" and adjusts settings accordingly...My understanding of this is that the ECM is going through what those with a carb do, it is basically adjusting the AFR (Chock) to keep the bike running until proper engine temp is achieved..?????
  2. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

it looks at the ect and keeps the motor in open loop till it gets proper temp then it will then go in to closed loop operation. its about a 3 min or so if you look at data from a cold start you will see a desired af value and cold start counter . it will go from 11.7 at start up till its warm and see the desired af continue to change till it gets to 13.7 to 14.0 depending on the map installed and iac counts start to drop aswell as idle speed.
  3. JohnnyBiker

So basically you are saying that it is better to let the bike sit for those three minutes instead of starting it and taking off right away????:banghead:
  4. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

It also depends on the oil your using! Dyno or Syn?
  5. JohnnyBiker

Not so sure that I buy that claim...
  6. Fatboy128

Just joshing, trying to hyjack ya. :roflmao:
  7. JohnnyBiker

:gah::gah::roflmao::roflmao: You're not that good at hijacking threads though..:roflmao::roflmao:;)
  8. Fatboy128

Oh yeah! I did it pretty good on the "Taken to the Beach one!" of course CB helped a lot. :roflmao:
  9. JohnnyBiker

Too bad there is no middle finger icon!!!!:wtf: If there were, I would be flying it at you right now!!!:rant::rant::roflmao::roflmao::hijacked::hijacked::rant::rant:
  10. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Yea, good thing there is not, you would have had a lot of em by now. :roflmao:
  11. Fatboy128

:hijacked: :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
  12. JohnnyBiker

that is funny right there!!:D
  13. Fatboy128

OK, I'm outta here. Sorry. Thanks for putting up with this bored, stir crazed horny old fart. See ya.
  14. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Back to the question. Baggerpaul is correct with his running description of a cold start. The factory sets the air/fuel ratio @14.7 to 1 according to EPA mandate. That is why everyone says they run hot (too lean). Unfortunately, you cannot adjust this unless you have a fuel injection tuner (SERT, ThunderMax, FuelPak, etc.) that reads and adjusts the map to a lower ratio. This happens thousands of times a second.

The ECM also reads oxygen level and barometric pressure to keep the motor running clean whether cold or hot. You'd have to have one hand on the carb choke constantly while riding the first few miles to achieve this, and you still could not match the speed or accuracy of the ECM adjustments.

As with anything starting-up from cold, common sense tells you that you can't drive away quickly because the OIL has not circulated enough to give good mechanical protection. Computer doesn't care about the oil, it just sez "wake-up let's go!"
  15. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

My understanding is that when you hammer on a cold engine it puts a lot of stress on the head and base gaskets. That's was one of the reasons earlier bikes had seeping base gaskets. Gasket materials are always evolving and are pretty tough today but still it just doesn't seem smart to hammer on a cold engine.

I usually start up and drive away slowly in the morning just to get out of the neighborhood, but if I could I would let it sit and idle for 5 minutes.
  16. JohnnyBiker

Yep, you are absolutely right on this. My point is that just because you have the ECM, it shouldn't mean that they should not let the bike warm up. This is why the ECM has the multiple look up tables, it is for transitions. IMO Basic same concept as the chock only in the chocks case, it is done manually and not as accurate..

Not only that, the oil hasn't come up in temp. That can cause so issues. JMO
  17. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

The basic AFR table is what it is,
    the ECM has warmup lookup tables and based on the engine temp
    adds or could subtract fuel based on the setting in the warm up table... Or cold start
    whatever you call it..
  18. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be beating on a cold motor ever. The Evos would leak from the base gaskets if the motor was run hard before it warmed up. With the cylinders held in place by the studs that were screwed into the crancase and then clamped down by the heads being bolted to the studs the gaskets were clamped better by the alumimum expanding as the motor warmed up. The old rule of thumb was to let the top of the rocker boxes get warm before you ride off..it worked well for me.
  19. JohnnyBiker

I think that this is just as important with EFI engines just as it is with carbed ones.. Great Point Sleepy..:D
  20. JohnnyBiker

I always wait until my oil temp is at about 100* before I take off. Of course I when it gets colder here then I get a little impatient.:D