1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

EFI Race Tuner Kit

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Hrd Rider, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Hrd Rider

Hrd Rider New Member

I am waiting for my 2008 Heritage to come in to the dealership. My last bike had a Rinehart Tru Duals Exhaust System with a PC installed and the bike ran great. Since I can't get a tru dual system for the Heritage I opted for the Rinehart Slip On's. The dealer recommended the EFI Race Tuner Kit be installed. I can't find any info on this kit in the Harley Catalog as it is in a Screaming Eagle Catalog that only the service shop has access to. Does anyone have any info on the kit, or better yet does anybody have this kit on their softail?
  2. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

I have the SERT on my '05 Heritage. If I had it to do over, I may have used the PCII. From what I understand, it is easier to set up a map yourself based on the equipment you have on your bike. The SERT is usually set up on the dyno but when it's done right, the bike runs great. Mine is essentially stock but it is much more enjoyable to ride with the SERT. Good luck.
    Slim
  3. Dakota

Dakota New Member

I bought a SERT for my 03 RK and had it dyno tuned. I wasn't happy with the dyno tune so I bought a Twin Scan II+ unit and started doing my own tuning on it. Now I've got the bike tuned so it runs really well and no pinging, which is why I had it tuned in the first place.
    I didn't think the SERT was all that hard to learn, but it took me a while, plus a lot of help from people on these boards.
    So you can use a SERT and tune it yourself, basically starting with a canned map. I also bought a SERT for my wife's 06 Deluxe and just loaded a canned map and it runs better and gets better mileage than when the dealer did the 06 injector upgrade (I think he didn't load the correct map for it at that time)
    I don't know if the SERT is available yet for the 08's though. Someone else might know.
  4. Hrd Rider

Hrd Rider New Member

Slim Jim/ Dakota
    Yes they do make the Sert for the 08's. I can perform minor repairs, oil changes, etc. on my bikes but I have always been afraid to touch the tuning as I am not a wrench guy. Therefore I have to depend on the so called experts at the stealerships. With the PC set up on my Ultra I went thru hell and I don't even remember how many Dyno Runs. Since this bike is bought from another dealer I'm getting ready to go thru the same. I have no confidence whatsoever that this bike won't be backfiring on decel and pinging like hell. Thanks for replying to my post.

Hrd Rider
  5. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

the old stealer always recommends/pushes one of those race tuners. if i were in your situation i'd take the bike home put a pc on it and tune it myself. seems the more people take they bike to the stealer the more they need those dyno's done. seems to me a bike should be able to be tuned without the added expense of those dyno's
  6. Hrd Rider

Hrd Rider New Member

I know it's a rip off Skull 2007 and I agree you shouldn't have to go thru all of this Dyno Tuning crap. Like I said before I'm not a wrench guy but after I get my first 1K check the dealership will never see the bike in their shop again. I have a good friend who works in another stealership who has worked on my last four Harley's and he has about 22 yrs. experience working on HD's. He does all my work right in my garage. Thanks for reply.
  7. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

Does this mean when he works at the dealership he's not a good mechanic, but at home he's great? Sorry, just couldn't resist. The reason that so many wrenches at the dealerships would rather see you do the dyno run is that a good dyno tech will get the map right for your bike without doing any guess work. Anybody can go in and make changes to the map, but when you have the equipment to see the results it becomes a science and the bike will not have any lean running issues. You are able to get the best performance and the air/fuel ratio right when you use a dyno, everything else is guesswork and seat of your pants results.
  8. Hrd Rider

Hrd Rider New Member

EFI Race Tuner

Perhaps VYBRBER I didn't explain that the tech who does most of my work in my garage works at a lousy dealership, one that I will not purchase a bike from. It dosen't matter where he works he is an excellent tech. As far as him tuning my bikes in my garage be it a PC, DFO or a Sert which I've had on different bikes, he would not perform any seat of the pants tuning nor would I allow him to. I will go thru the time consuming process of having this bike Dyno Tuned at a dealership 75 miles away, they have done my tuning in the past. You may ask why I didn't buy my bike there, simply because I found the bike that I wanted within 25 miles from home.
  9. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

I was only pushing your buttons. If you find a tech that you can trust with your life, he's worth his weight in gold. There are so many out there that are only worried about busting the flat rate and pushing through units that it really is a shame. I don't worry about flat rate times and number of bikes off the rack. It takes what it takes to do the job right and going the extra mile to do a job that you are proud of keeps the customers coming back and stipulating only me to work on the bike. No matter where I'm working, the job is always done to the same standard. I treat every bike like it's my wifes and she doesn't have enough life insurance to make it worth my while to cut any corners. Besides, after 32 years I can't see having to break another one in to accept the life of a motorcycle enthusiast. It took 30 years to get her off the back seat and now she finally understands why I love biking and will do 500+ mile days without a wimper.
  10. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

Hrd Rider, look into the zipper by thunder max with auto tune, i went with pcIII wish i had went with the zipper, and i might yet, at least by next spring, the PCII did not cool the motor down like i thought it would, i have a 07 screamin eagle road king with the 110 ci, the 07 and 08 run a lot hotter than anything before and i'm talking about 110 or 96, just keep that in mind.
    leaving for myrtle beach tomorrow for the fall rally so will see how the PCIII does on long ride.

LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

DKIN:rocket_bike: :cheers:
  11. Hrd Rider

Hrd Rider New Member

= Hrd Rider; I wish we had more tech's in my area with your attitude towards servicing customers bikes and also with your many years of experience. There are so many young tech's just out of school who expound lots of theory but are lacking the actual shop experience. Then I've had the misfortune of having tech's who didn't really care about my specific problem but just wanted to work on as many bikes that day as possible to build up his bank acount. I hate to sound so skeptical but I have really had some bad experiences. Thanks VYBRBER for listening.
  12. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

I know where you're coming from, the reason I got into this job is I got tired of being BS'd by someone who really didn't know what he was talking about but thought that I was just another overpaid yuppie with a Harley to get people's attention. My push over point was with Magnetti Marelli fuel injection and a shutdown problem that wasn't leaving a code but would leave me stranded. I got so fed up with dealers that I rewired all of my sensors to the ECM and found bad wires on both the cam position and crank position sensors. Decided to quit hating my daily job and go to school to do what I enjoyed. Turned my love into a living. The only downside is I can't seem to get time off during the summer for all of the great rides I used to take. The wife and I are starting to plan a 3 week ride on old route 66 from California to Chicago then hustle back home across the top of the US to Washington and turn left to home. Should be a kick. If the boss can't handle it I do have wheels on the bottom of my tool box.
  13. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i hope you and your wife have a great time!!!! i have also told bosses that i wasnt lookin for a job when i hired on with them, they were looking for me...:)