1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Electrical help needed

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by AFBombBldr, Jun 20, 2006.

1. AFBombBldr

AFBombBldr New Member

Hey all, I washed the Wide Glide on Sunday evening, then ran it for a few minutes to be sure it would work on Monday AM. Yeah, sure.:rolleyes:

So I go to leave for work yesterday I tried to start / warm-up. Turned on the switch, hit the start button and poof--all lights, dash, everything, went out. Tried cycling the switch, turned it back on, hit the switch--again, same thing. So I rolled it back in the garage to park. Just for giggles I cycled the switch again and it fired. So I rode to work. At the end of the day it did the same thing, only this time it never fired.

Now when I turn to "on", there is nothing. The alarm sets up and blinks but maybe the battery is just strong enough to run it.

All fuses are good, and I can't tell for sure but it all seems dry. I'm not an electrical genius, so I really don't know where to go from here. Could it be the coil or battery?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Joe
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i would start with the battery and work from there. make sure the battery is good.....make sure the connections to the battery are good.....follow the cables to where they terminate and make sure those connections are good..if it still doesnt start, get the manual out and start a backwards check of all the start and run circuits. i dont think the coil is bad as it ran good to work......let us know what ya find!
    chuck
  3. AFBombBldr

AFBombBldr New Member

Push the Easy Button

Got it fixed.

Turned out to be some corrosion/dirt on the positive battery terminal. There was just enough on there to kill it. Only took about 30 minutes, now I'm back on the road.

Thanks chucktx!

Joe
  4. 00 wildglide

00 wildglide New Member

Wet-no Start

FYI,
    Glad to hear your fix was simple&cheap.Keep in mind that water can be a good
    conductor(short circut to ground).I like to blow off areas of elec.conn./components with compressed air after a wash.(jmo):)
  5. AFBombBldr

AFBombBldr New Member

Yeah 00wg, I guess just enough got to the terminal. I won't blow off using the leaf blower next time.:D

Joe
  6. CD

CD Guest

Since you had enough corrosion to go to ground, I would make a paste of baking soda and water and use it to neutralize the acid. Then, remove the cables, clean them and the posts and reinstall. A little battery grease will prevent that from happening again.
  7. AFBombBldr

AFBombBldr New Member

An ounce of prevention

I think I'll do that this evening while it's raining. In the garage though.