1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Electrical Question

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by FLHTbiker, Sep 4, 2007.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Had a interesting situation last weekend. My bike had no brake lights, turn signals, cruise control or horn. I checked the fuses for them and all were OK. I checked all the connectors and nothing was loose, So I decided to check the other fuses. I checked one called Access and it was burned out So I replaced it and they all worked. My bike is a 2007 Harley CVO ultra. HAS anyone ever seen where the manufature has connected wires to the wrong place in a fuse box. :rant:
  2. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

I've never heard of that before but you can bet I'd have their a** on the phone askin' what the hell the deal was that's for sure.
  3. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

OOHH

You wanted it to look pretty AND work.......:rolleyes:

That'll be extra :D
  4. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Might want to check the electrical schematics in your shop manual. I have an 02' Heritage and the lighting is on two different circuits. If I turn the key to the Accessory postion my fender tip lights come on, the brake lights work, and the horn and idiot lights work. These items are on the circuit that is connected to the Access, (accesories), fuse. The rest of your lighting is connected to the lighting fuse.

The ignition switch has three contacts inside of it. One is power in, the second is ignition, and the third is accessories. When you turn the switch to the igniton position the contacts bridge all three contacts. This sends power to the starter, main lighting, accessory lighting and the speedo. I found this out when I had a short that fried my ignition switch. Spent three days with my head in the book tracking down wires in the harness.

So you have a fuse for the main lighting, one for igniton and one called accessories. The accessory circuit powers your brake lights, horn, speedo, speedo lighting, odometer, fender tip lights, and idiot lights.

Hope this helps.
  5. FLHTbiker

ring912, all the other lights worked and I put the switch in the on position the brake, turn signals, cruise and horn would not. The bike is in the shop now, needed a new rear tire to. Crap only got 8400 miles on the first rear tire. :gah:
  6. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Keep us posted on what they find!
  7. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

All of the switches on your handlebars are powered by the accessories fuse. Your speedo and gauge lighting also comes from this same fuse. If you look at the wiring diagram in the service manual, it is the orange and white wire. Something shorted to blow that fuse and it is usually found as a pinched wire under the clutch perch or the front master cylinder clamp.
  8. FLHTbiker

Unfortunately all the lights on my panel were working. What was not working were my break lights, turn signals, cruse, and horn. The accessory fuse was blown meaning that it has been mis-wired at the factory. The actual accessory portions of the system were all working and I do not know what fuse they are wired to as it is not the accessory fuse.