1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Eletrical connectors

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by GreyBear, May 8, 2007.

1. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    I got the kit to move my rear turn signals. And since I a bit anal, I wanted to replace the wires instead of splicing them. No biggee right? Wrong it seems. I have tried everywhere around here to find the connectors I need. The Harley shop doesnt have them none of the auto parts places had a match....any ideas? I finally spliced in but would still like to redo them with one piece wires....

Ride Free......
  2. Clem

Clem New Member

The HD dealer will get these connectors for you. You need a crimp tool for the Molex type connectors and RS has a cheap tool that will suffice. I did what you are intending - I believe a splice is a future headache!
  3. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

If they are those round pin connectors, I was able to buy them off the shelf at my Harley dealer. But they were almost a buck a piece. I tried Radio Shack but the ones they had were a little different size. Either try another Harely dealer or try a different parts guy at the one you went to.

I needed them when I ran my wires inside my handle bars. I wrecked like three of the connectors taking them apart and I, like you, did not like the idea of splicing them.

Oh yeah. I don't have a special crimper. I think I used a pair of needle nosed pliers to bend the little tabs and then soldered them as well.
  4. Clem

Clem New Member

Soldering any wiring is not a good idea. Solder flux will continue to 'clean' the copper into a mass of corrosion and, the wire is too stiff at the connector where it needs some flexibility. Soldering any wiring is not allowed in the aircraft industry. (but if I didn't have the proper crimping tools, I'd probably be tempted to solder too since my bike very rarely leaves the ground)
  5. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

Well..........too late for me then. LOL. It is just under the seat where the plug is that I did the soldering. And they are crimped as well as soldered so I think I will be OK. If not I know where the problem is and it should be easy to correct.

The point is that if those are the connectors you need, Harley does have them.

Thanks for the tip.
  6. goliath

goliath New Member

electrical connectors

Hey all,

I built a custom and all my connectors we made by Deutche. They make different types and all are waterproof. They also make the male and female pins. I bought a crimper as well. They click together solidly and come apart easily. But no weather gets in.