1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

end of era?....

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by voodoo1, Jan 4, 2006.

1. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

I went and looked at few new HDs...they don't have Dynas with carbs(my favorite Harleys) and the Deluxe(Soft Tail) I am "thinking" about was injected. They had one that was carbed earlier in the year but I was not in the market.
    I know most enjoy and like the injects but to me I just have a difficult time with it. Iknow you can still "tinker" with them but more "software" driven.
    They do run good and not knocking them..just hold out for a good long time....maybe my next bike shoulod/will be an older HD and just tinker away with it.
    The dealer asked my why and I told him it was the end of the ERA and the whole "Americanna" essence of the HD.IT is now changed/evolvedd/revolved.....I wonder though will that drive the after market for carbs down for a bit then up in cost since they will not be needed anymore unless someone needs a carb?
    I have worked on very-very classified/technical elctronic NUKES in the service to now just tinkering with home computers/fixing dvd players etc..it is not as much fun downloading and reparing/"circuits" to me as turning the wrench and when ya get it dialed in after a few rides that feeling of yeah I got-r-done.... now it seems buy-flash and reflash...and the average fella like me loses some of the historyIMHO.. I think alot of people bike buying these days though really don't mind or never turned a wrench(good for them)... But maybe if the sytstem was ajustable (open vs closed) it would be fun..with a dyno for my dynas!!!!!! oh well am I the only one?...... anyone?
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

voodoo, no you are not the only one. i am a died in the wool old timer/old school. i have wrenched my hogs since 1967. i currently own a 65 flh electraglide pan head.....for sale....and an 06 electraglide. my 06 is carbed. the ign is electronic. i have owned the 06 about 3 months, and have done a lot of research on the new models. the more i read about them the more facinated i become. in my research you are able to replace the ign systems, for tunable ones. you can still get your hands dirty due to the fact that the bikes are built to epa specks and are delivered lean. the new heads dont flow as much as the old evo's (blockheads), so inhouse head work is one thing ya can do. i also did my own stage one. it cost me about 60bucks or so by modifiying the stock componets. stock cyls. can be honed to 95inches by a reputable shop instead of buying aftermarket, as there is plenty of meat on the jugs. yes with fuel injection, you cant change the jets, but you can use the laptop for increasin flow, once you open up the intake and exhaust, if you get the aftermarket puter...the one i like.....i dont have one, but i have read alot, it the one crane has out, and it is cheaper than an s&s super. if my 06 was injected, i think i could still have fun wrenchin. i had my doubts about puters and injection when i bought my bike, but after some research, i think it is pretty neat...but it still scares me, if it quits on the road. i can make a ruined set of points get me off the hiway....with a puter its a trailer.....sorry for ramblin, but i think if you do some research it may change your opinion a bit. i read american iron and v twin mags. i also do a lot of google searches. and the reason i am selling my 65, which i have owned for more than 20 years, the 06 is a lot more peppy and comfy......guess my age has a bit to do with it also
    chuck
  3. Goose

Goose New Member

At first, I was against more computers on motorcycles, but I've warmed to EFI. Now, CD tells me the dynas are closed loop, which is a good thing, really. No more maps to worry about.

My only grip is that electronics CAN go out down the road. I've been driving EFI cars long enough to know they're pretty reliable, except for the EGA which always seems to go out, but the motor will still run with it out, just not right. Even with an open loop system, though, a power commander is a lot easier to play with than pulling a bank of carbs on a four banger or even two on a twin every time to change jets and test. With the Harley, at least you only got one carb and it's out there where you can get at it and no friggin' air box boot to cuss and bruise knuckles with.

I don't yet have an EFI bike, but if and when I ever get to buy a new touring bike, it'll be EFI. I get up in the mountains about 6K feet and that Old Wing runs like CRAP. :rolleyes: At 8K feet, it's trying to foul plugs and such. I ain't riding the old POS up Pike's Peak. :rolleyes:

But, I certainly understand the affinity for simple mechanical devices. Carbs I can live with, have been living with my whole life. Forget breaker points, though, you can HAVE the things. They're just too big a hassle.
  4. scooter

scooter New Member

Chucktx

If I can save up enough, I'll take your 65 Pan off your hands....no problem. :rolleyes:

Decided earlier this year that I would MUCH rather have a 65-67 bike than a 65-67 Camaro. Wife is more into bikes, as she grew up on them. It's rough, but I guess I'll go along with her on this one! :D

scoot
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

lamao!!!!!!!!!! glad your wife is into bikes, some arnt......glad mine is!!!!!!!!
    chuck
  6. spanky32354

spanky32354 New Member

EFI vs Carb

Man, you guys are lucky to have wifes that are into bikes. Those are far and few between. (Do they have any sisters available?) My last 2 weren't until after we divorced. :D Personnaly, I like EFI. I had an 05 Ultra that I rode out to Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada this last summer. It was great not having to worry about air/fuel mixtures. She ran like a beast the whole time. Add in the fact that when I try and do my own wrenching my lack of talent really shows through. Two left thumbs I guess. :)
  7. scooter

scooter New Member

Hey Spanky, try them left handed wrenches, I hear they work wonders!! :D

Yeah, mine was on the back of her Dad's Super Glide, then Sportster, for about 6-7 years. She always had the honor of polishing the ride if she wanted to be on it...just like a good girl. *looks around to see if wife is listening. :eek: *

Time to sign off here, and go home for a nap. Gotta ride this afternoon!!!

scoot
  8. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I got all the respect in the world for you old school fellas. I tried the left handed wrenches..not so great for me..and I'm a southpaw. The shop manual's a must..so's patience when you're trying to put the bike back together. Harleys are straight foreward compared to Ducatis..[from experience I speak on this.] I have to admit, I like injected bikes..I've just burnt up too much stuff in the past setting them up too lean....I never really learned how to wrench 'em..I guess it's time to learn how to ride.
  9. Goose

Goose New Member

Bob, you attempt a valve lash adjustment on that Duc, yet? :D Two valver shouldn't be that bad. I've heard horror stories about 916/998/999s, though. I avoid 'em, but if I had one, I'd do it myself for what I've seen the shops charging for the job. :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  10. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

nope not yet..I should get a video and get serious about it...they're a bit of a bitch to work on tho.