1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Engine shake

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by RoadKingBlack2010, Sep 22, 2010.

1. RoadKingBlack2010

RoadKingBlack2010 New Member

Quick question. My friend has a 2008 Heritage softail with the same 96 motor as my 2010 Road king. My engine has always shaked pretty hard even with the stock pipes. Since I have added slip ons it still shakes hard about the same. My buddies Heritage is really smooth you can hardly see it shake at all. He has Rush slip ons on his. I am going to the dealer tonight for my 2500 service. Any help would really be appreciated.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the heritage has rubber mounted/ counter balanced engine...........yours doesnt
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

actually the Heritage is directly mounted to the frame, no rubber mounts at all, it is however counterbalanced, at Idle the engine will not shake, rattle or rumble in the frame like a bagger or dyna.

All dynas and baggers have "rubber mounts" or engine and tranny mounts that have
    rubber isolators between the mount point on the engine and frame. Thus the shake.

However if his shakes a lot, it might need the bolts tightened at the mounting points or one or more of the rubber isolators has failed.

Prior to 09's frame change the FL's have a single central lower front rubber mount and two rubber "donuts" isolators on the swingarm pivot shaft behind the trans.

Your 2010 has two front mounting points for the engine, I'd ask them to check the idle RPM and maybe up it a few, sometimes changing mufflers can cause more vibration due to the way they mount and change the engines fuel demands...

Note the exhaust on a softail is frame mounted whereas on an FL it's mounted to the transmission and has a rubber isolator on the lower bag rail to allow movement....

If it's really shaking he might need to increase Idle RPM in the ECM a couple of hundred and/or check the mounts...
  4. RoadKingBlack2010

Thanks for the help.
  5. RoadKingBlack2010

Thanks for the help.
  6. hotroadking

Just realized it's you with the shakes LOL

Good luck it's part of the bagger line, some shake more,
    you will get the "they all do that" but
    make them check it out.

Do you have a fuel tuning device on the bike?
  7. RoadKingBlack2010

The dealer wanted 450 dollars for the tuning device. I am not going to pay that much.
  8. RoadKingBlack2010

The slip ons I put on were stock replacements and the inside redone. So the new slip ons from americancustom.com should make no difference.
  9. hotroadking

Call Phil order a TTS mastertune, it's a Kuryakyn PN and he'll get you a discount
    It's what I run, FYI you will need a USB to serial cable and a cable to connect to the
    bike, so get them too....

It's much more than uploading fuel maps, timing, rpm limit, lots more.

You ride the bike with your laptop connected and it will tune it for you (fuel)
    and then you can do adjustments to other things.

http://www.mastertune.net/HD_master_tune.html

to order call Phil at California Phil's Concordia, KS (785) 243-9991

Yeah it's not cheap, and it isn't free but it does work.. and if you put in cams, bigger pistons (go 103 or 107) later you just upload a new map and start tuning (riding) again...
  10. RoadKingBlack2010

Thanks everybody for the help. Like I have said before I am new to Harley's and this is my first one. Last night when I went to the dealer for my 2500 mile service. They started up some other bikes like mine and most of them shook more than mine did. At least now I am sure there is nothing wrong with mine.
  11. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Now you know you have one of the better ones :cool:
  12. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Look on the internet at Eastern Performance.

Get a Progressive stabiler link that goes under the tranny

Got a buddy that just got one and put it on his softail and it took the shake out. And made the bike run better.
  13. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Yep, its a B motor:gah: