1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Engine temps

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Oct 21, 2009.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

my son-in-law & I went for a short ride last night about 20-30 miles , He also gave me a heat seeking gun last week (he works in a plant where they use them) I been thinking for a short while now that my rear cyl has been running a bit hotter then it should
    front exhaust was 120 deg rear was 130 , front head 280 rear 300 front front jug 270 & the rear was the same at 270 , are these about right , after it was dyno last year I change the slip on mufflers from the ovels half gutted to sampson fish tail full baffle , I know the rear will a bit hotter then the front bike is a 03 E glide with V&H true dules & PC 3
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Your right the rear will run a slight bit hotter. After changing your exhaust did it become more free flowing, if so it could cause it to run leaner thus more higher temps.
  3. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

The difference in temps sound rather typical. Adjusting the timing on the rear may help but the rear will always run hotter. I tried telling the same thing to my wife last week... my jaw is feeling much better now :p
  4. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Uh oooooh! Did that start with one of those loaded questions like "Do I look fat in these jeans?" :D
  5. CalgBikeBum

CalgBikeBum New Member

Just don't do what I did and say " Honey ..it ain't the jeans" LOL:banghead:
  6. FLHTbiker

My wife has been on a diet plane with Take Shape For life and she has lost over 40 pounds this past summer. I better start shedding the pounds before she trades me in. :eek:
  7. cowboy

LOMA I've had the wife for 36 yrs now I learned a long time ago not to say dumb asz thing's like that :roflmao:
    the pipes it was dynoed with where more free flowing then the set I have on it now , I was thinking about changing them back & see if there's a difference :cheers:
  8. cowboy

well I got over to the indy shop that dynoed my bike , & he said to change my pipes back or redo the dyno ,so for now going to change the pipes back , he also told me if that wont do the trick just drop it off & he'll double check his work on his dime :D
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

that is good of him....sounds like a keeper indy!!!!
  10. cowboy

yep he's a keeper indy for sure , I was going to change pipes yesterday but took the trip & honeydos most of today so tonight , my grandson & I pulled the fishtails off & just might be able to clean up & install the other pipes tomorrow :rolleyes:
  11. FLHTbiker

What brand exhaust did you take off and what ones are you installing?
  12. cowboy

just took of samson fishtails , putting back on samson I think ovel with less baffles in them then came with:D the fishtails are full baffle
  13. FLHTbiker

The sampson fishtails I had on my springer had no baffles in them and they had less power than the V&H fishtails with baffles. Interesting
  14. cowboy

No baffles = less power the ovles I have have about 1/2 the baffles in them so there good to go ,I only changed them for the fishtail 's cause of the look's , I like them better & I traded a buddy of mine for them , he bought them & did'nt like them to quite he like's the fishtailes but runs stright pipes he like all the noise & lets everybody know it , my wife told me once that if I ever run with him again with her she would slap me real hare said she had a headace for two days from his pipes :gah:
  15. FLHTbiker

I know more and more people are getting away from loud pipes. My V&H Monster Ovals are just perfect, not loud and not to quiet.
  16. cowboy

My ovels arnt to loud even with just half the baffles missing , & they have a good tone to them