1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Engine torque ratings, 96 versus 96B

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by jturuk, Oct 23, 2007.

1. jturuk

jturuk New Member

Noticed that Harley rates the torque for the 96 engine at 92.6 ft.lb. at 3500 RPM and the 96B engine at 89 ft. lbs. at 3300 RPM. Wondering if someone could enlighten me as to what this is all about?

John
  2. Hugo

Hugo New Member

I believe the 96 b twin cam motor is rigid mounted right to the frame, the same as the 88 b twin cam which is what i have. My mechanic explained it like this,the b motor has a little less torque and hp in it because of the counter balancer assembly, which is supposed to smooth out are ride because the engine is rigidly mounted to the frame. Were as the 88 + 96 motors are rubber mounted and have less drag and friction internally because they dont use the counter balance system.So this simple theory frees up a lot of hp + torque.Dont forget that counter balancer works on same principle as cam chain you have so called chain tensioners in there also applying pressure on chain.I hope this helps you out a bit.:banghead: Good luck john
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  3. jturuk

jturuk New Member

But I wonder why they don't rate the torque of the two engines at the same RPM?

John
  4. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

all motors are rated at peak levels regardless of rpm
  5. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Also...the torque specs Harley provides, is engine torque, not rear wheel torque.
  6. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Thank you Ringo for backin me up on that..:D
  7. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

No problemo...ve vill get them educated, ya?:cool:
  8. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Sure thing, even if it kills us! :banghead: :witsend: :roflmao: