1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Engine, tranny oil

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by ctd, Dec 23, 2005.

1. ctd

ctd New Member

I did a search but came up basically empty handed. I am brand new to the HD bikes, and the one I bought, needs the fluids changed. Looking in the owner's manual, they recommend Harley oil this, Harley oil that. I can't believe there aren't equivalent oils or even better oils to use in all the necessary places. The book says to use a diesel oil if the HD oil isn't available, but to change back to HD oil as soon as you can.

What's everyone doing with the different areas, i.e. engine, primary, trans etc? I think I read the primary and trans share the same oil on the Sportster, but might be wrong.

Thanks
  2. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Hey there ctd, oil is one of those well-worn topics that can go on for ever. Go over to BITOG, they have an motorcycle area, they're some real experts on oil there. You can read and then make some of your own informed decisions.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi
  3. ctd

ctd New Member

Thanks for the URL, that's going to take some reading~:) I have a hard time believing the rest of the rotaing machinery out there in the world can do just fine with the major oil company products and the Harley's are only able to digest HD oil. I'm probably missing something, so will read all the info I can. Thanks.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

CTD
    the main thing is to change the oil on a regular basis
    HD manuals call for 5K intervals.

HD 360 is Dyno oil, for the motor not bad stuff

HD Syn3 is for all three Motor Trans and Primary, personally I wouldn't put it in a trans for various reasons.

I run Redline Synthetic 20W-50, it's less expensive than HD oil, most independent shops will carry it, or Royal Purple, Mobil1 V-twin.

Run 20W-50 oil for Vtwins that are air cooled, many have run 20W50 Mobil1 car oil without issues.

Redline makes a good synthetic gear oil, Heavy Shockproof is what you want. and Redline MTL in the primary

Or run Syn3 in the motor and Primary, and a good syn in the trans, shifting will improve.

Oil's been debated for ever on the boards so if you ask you could get hammered on some sites so be prepped.

Red Line
    Royal Purple
    Mobil1 Vtwin
    Castrol Vtwin
    HD SYn 3

I'd run synthetic in a HD you have an air cooled motor and the Syn will hold up better over time.
  6. ctd

ctd New Member

Thanks for the reply and good information. I was just at the dealer yesterday, (getting a service manual) and noticed they were selling Amsoil and another brand of synthetic that was not the HD brand. The parts guy showed me on the back of the bottle where it was for HD's and V-twin air cooled engines. The HD sythetic was $10/qt. so a little pricey. I think if I use a good synthetic like you mentioned, it'll be good protection. Thanks
  7. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Hey ctd, you can do yourself and your wallet a big favor and go elsewhere to buy your oil.
    You pay a BIG premium when you walk through the door of the Harley Davidson stealer. :eek:
    Good luck.
  8. stevenh

stevenh New Member

I read somewhere (online) that Synthetic oil shouldn't be used for the primary chaincase because it is too slippery and allows too much slip in the clutch plates.
    Any knowledge or ideas on this?
  9. ctd

ctd New Member

The synthetic oil Harley sells in a 20-50W is recommended for the whole setup from crankcase through the transmission. If you hit the Harley site, it indicates it makes it easy by having just one oil to deal with. I think the additives in some of the multi-weight oils SH (?) and newer are not recommended. The more I read, the more confused I become, but I DO believe HD oil is not the only oil that can be safely used.
  10. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Oh hrk, where are you? Lol… :p

Steven, most synthetics have a high moly count ((friction reducers)(extended-mileage oils)) and some say a high moly count can possibly cause clutch plates to slip, but tests have been done on the subject and only in extreme cases is this true.

Ctd, you might want to try http://www.myoilshop.com/
    They have some of the best prices on oil around in 'mail-order'.
    Good luck in what ever you decide.

CD, I dont think you sell oil but,if you do sell oil, I apologize, and delete away.
  11. ctd

ctd New Member

I don't sell oil, is there someone else on the board with the user handle "CD?"
    I have used Redline products in my Dodge diesel (hence the CTD) and had good luck with them. I would think Redline would be a quality product to use in the HD's. Thanks
  12. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

CD is the host of this BB . Killer-B was being respectful of the no spam zone.
  13. ctd

ctd New Member

Man, I'm about as dense as can be, I even emailed "CD" about somethings. I must be in a fog:) Thanks
  14. scooter

scooter New Member

If it helps at all, I use Mobil 1 20W50 for the engine, and Rev Tech synthetic for the others in my Sporty. Noticeable improvement in the engine, nothing huge though. I like it. Will keep using it from now on. Have 8570 miles now since April, and runs like a champ. Shifts good, too.

scoot
  15. ctd

ctd New Member

I'm not familiar with RevTech, but will look it up. Thanks for the info

Steve
  16. Wing-It

Wing-It New Member

17. ctd

ctd New Member

Geeeez, now what, muddier water yet! Does it ever end? Thanks
  18. ctd

ctd New Member

I've been thinking about the statements made on the website the URL takes you to. At first I thought it made sense, and really confused the oil issue. However there was only opinion, no hard facts to back up his statements and hearsay of telephone conversations leading to conjecture the statements were true. I'm not a engineer or remotely related to that profession, so this is only MY opinion here. If "bearing skate" was an issue in roller bearing applications due to the "slipperyness" of the synthetic oil, the major automobile manufacturer's, motorcycle mfgs, rearend, transmission mfg's would ALL disapprove synthetic oils. Think of all the transmissions, rearends, transfer cases etc. that all use roller bearings, needle bearings etc, that come with factory fills with synthetic oils. The manuals all recommend synthetic oils for high heat, heavy loading applications, so the "bearing skate" scenario in MY opinion just doesn't wash. Am I willing to use synthetic oil? I use it in my Dodge diesel with very heavy loading and IS factory recommened. The trans (manual) is only approved WITH synthetic oil and that puppy has roller, needle bearings. Will I use synthetic in the HD? I think I have made up my mind and will use it. Anything that can withstand the higher heat w/o break down, has to be superior to dino oil.

Sorry for the long post, thanks everyone.
  19. Wing-It

Wing-It New Member

Well you make a good point and I was thinking about switching also, but I've heard so many pro and cons, but I do see 2 of the dealers in my area now starting to carry amsoil synthetic so I'm thinking I may give it a shot also..
  20. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Been running Amsoil in my Harley's for several years now. Motor and Tranny run quieter, smoother and cooler. :cool:

Marc G