1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Engine type? Evo? Twin Cam? what is mine

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by NeilP, Nov 18, 2009.

1. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Hi all
    I just got a 2004 Sportster last month with 4000 miles on it. All factory standard from what the previous owner tells me.

Now when looking for performance upgrades for it I keep coming across kits for EFI, Twin Cam, or Evo engines. Now I my bike does not have EFI, but I assume it must have some sort of electronic ignition system. But is it an Evolution motor or something else? is it single or twin cam?

Cheers

Neil
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

neil the sporty is talked about as a evo style engine we have sporty guru here named art he will chime in a day or two
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new ride, Harley has 2 platforms...Big Twins and Sportster's, Evo Big Twins ran from '84-99 and the Twin Cams engines were introduced in '99 on the rubber mounted engines(Dyna's and Touring Models) Softails in '99 still used the Evo engine.Your Sporty has 4 cams and any performance upgrades you would want are Sportster specific.
    All motosickles have electronic ignitions since 1981.
    First thing I would suggest for you is to pick up the Factory Service Manual and Parts Catalog for your '04 Sporty.
  4. CalgBikeBum

CalgBikeBum New Member

Good Morning. I usually do most of my work on the big twins but recently did some repairs for a friend on their "New to them" sportster. I had to study the manuals and found out that all the sportsters are "based" on the EVO design (but are not EVOS) and as far as I know continue to be. However as noted above they are sporsters and as such have to have parts / manuals designated "Sportster" or XL**
    Hope that helps.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yep they are "evolution" or Evo engines
    but they have little in common with what most call an Evo other than being twin cyl.

As suggested go to the dealer and order or buy a service manual for the bike, and get the parts manual, together you will be able to see every nut and bolt, know how to change fluids, tq settings, where o rings go capacities etc.

You'll pay for it in the savings over the shops labor rate on the first service.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i agree!!
  7. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Thanks all
    I had been waiting for the last owner to find me the manuals he has (or had).

If not then I will have to pay the money and get them from the dealer.
  8. hotroadking

Neil so you are on Jersey in the Channel Islands, very interesting area.

do you have an HD dealer? or will you have to go to France or UK to get that stuff...
  9. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

There is a HD dealer here, but prices for anything from the USA, be it harley parts or anything else are always very expensive. Despite the exchange rate, local pound Sterlng prices seem to be pretty much the same as the dollar price, with just the $ sign changed for £ sign.

I may still end up going to the Uk to get the stuff, but that is an expensive trip in itself if I take the car, at least another £350-£400. So I do not know what or where I am getting the parts yet...just looking at all the possibilities and weighin gup the costs at the moment

I may go for SE parts, but am also looking at Big Sucker and some other slipons, have ordered a CVP Stage 1 Carb tuners kit, so need the rest to make that kit worthwhile.
    Eventually a forward control kit, and maybe some different bars or risers, plus a bigger fuel tank
  10. hotroadking