1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Error codes

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Hot01, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Yesterday I hit this really bad pile of highway department screw-up. aside from the fact that I'm grateful to be alive, I now have an error code. The incident caused my headlight to blow out, but the error code didn't come on until this morning. Everything seems to be running well, but the flashers flash when I start the bike, and the red key indicator light is staying on. I'm pretty sure that means I have an error. Any suggestions on reading and figuring out the code? I'd like to wait until I get home to deal with it, but I won't feel comfortable until I know what it is.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hopefully, someone with an 01 manual can give ya the codes.........stay safe, but have fun!!!!
  3. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

It could be that the blown headlight is interfering with the other linked components required for diagnostics. On some models this sometimes pops up when changing the original ignition module and often results in the engine not starting. Below is a link to the procedure to reset that condition but not sure it applies to your bike. Also if you are out on the road right now I don't recommend attempting something that could make the situation worse. I will look and see if I have any other information about your model and post back later.

Harley ECM Password Learn

Is your bike still a 2001 FXST and is it carb or Delphi EFI?
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  4. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Thanks Ken. That's kind of what was going on. It's fixed now. I was thinking back to when my speedometer sensor wasn't working, and it was doing the same thing. I never figured out anything with codes, but once the speedometer was fixed, it went away. So when this happened, I figured there was something funky going on.

Because I was going by a dealership in Kalispell, I stopped and asked them if they could just figure out what it was. The first guy I spoke with was a real jerk. I told him that when I turned the ignition on, the flashers would flash and then the key would light up and that I thought there were error codes. He kept acting like I was the biggest idiot on Earth and that I was turning on the alarm. I told him I hadn't turned the alarm on in about 7 or 8 years, besides which, the bike was starting. He asked where the fob was, and I told him in Colorado. Thankfully the young kid next to him asked what year it was ('01 carbureted, btw), and he told the guy that's how you know there's an error. :rolleyes: The kid took it back and half an hour later it was back fixed.

Stupid on my part, because I should have checked, but usually when the turn signals go out, the indicators blink rapidly. But that's what it was. The bump knocked out on of the rear turn signals too.

So all good!

By the way, Glacier National Park is incredible. I can't believe more people don't come here. It makes Beartooth Pass look like the Cross-Bronx Expressway.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

glad it is fixed!!!!! stay safe out there, and watch for idiots!!!!!!
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

The idiots are all in Washington DC