1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

EV13 Cam + SE 6k Ignition Module

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by BluesCruiser, Jun 17, 2004.

1. BluesCruiser

BluesCruiser New Member

Hi all, new member here, as usual coming in with a question. Hopefully I'll be able to add some value to the board as time goes by.

I recently picked up a Screamin Eagle ignition module. I also have an Andrews EV13 cam I was planning on putting on the bike as well. Bike is an 89 flhtc/u 1340 Evo bagger so it's a bit on the heavy side but I'm a mid-size 180 kinda guy. Have an S&S breather, Hooker slip-ons and an SE coil installed. Everything seemed like a good combo but I got to wondering about the SE ignition module. I've had the bike for 15 years and my ingrained riding habits are between 1600 and 3200 rpm. I like to roll it on but tend to shift low and cruise low in the rpm range.

I'm wondering if the advance curve on the ignition is going to be a plus, or a minus, given the cam and riding style. I get the impression that advance curves pretty much exit the picture above 2500 rpm or so which would lead me to think that since I like to roll-it-on low in the rpm range that this could be a good thing. On the other hand it seems odd to put a more aggressive advance curve ignition on a low-rpm riding style.

Input would be very much appreciated.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2004
  2. Seahag

Seahag New Member

I can't help much with the question about the ignition module itself, ..but I wanted to comment that everything I've read and heard tells me not to ride your V-twin motor below 2500 rpm except for maybe first and second gear. Without the inertia of the spinning flywheel I hear it can hammer pretty hard on the crank bearings. I first read this from Donny Peterson who writes tech articles for American Iron Magazine. If I'm running below 2500 rpm at cruising speed I will shift down and bring the rpm up around 3000....and it does seem to run smoother as well as being more on the cam and accelerating quicker from that point. The rev range you posted you ride in, (as low as 1600) is certainly too low to be healthy for the motor especially since the oil pressure drops with your rpm. Think about it.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2004
  3. BluesCruiser

BluesCruiser New Member

Thanks for the warning but I'm afraid I won't be heeding it. I've had the bike for 15 years now and have fallen into the habit of riding it that way. I just like the loping sound/feel. Only 30k on but it's holding up so far. Have been paying more attention to it lately and don't spend much time out of the 2000 to 3000 range, occassionally 1800 when I'm lugging in a gear from an up shift, sometimes between 3000 and 4000 when I'm giving myself a thrill :eek:.

Decided to go ahead with the ignition for now, will probably do the cam this winter. Guess we'll just see what happens then. Appreciate the response.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

That's a pretty mild cam, and the ignition may or may not hurt, the thing to do is try it you can always add a powercommander if you need one to get it dyno tuned.

Luggin is bad news long term for a v-twin, hard on the crank bearings. Nothing wrong with liking the sound but you could cost yourself some $ in the long run. 1800's a bit low for cruising JMHO