1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Ever wondered about Helments

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Jan 6, 2010.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

thats some pretty heady stuff....
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Re: Ever wondered about Helmets

Speaking of helmets the new Oregon helmet law took effect after the first. If your wearing a helmet that a cop does not think is a real D.O.T. approved helmet they can now pull you over have your remove your helmet so they can look inside. If it is not a real D.O.T. helmet and you don't have a real one to wear, they tow your bike. Whether they really try to impose it will be interesting, personally think it is wrong.
  4. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

considering that even with a DOT approved helmet - any speed over 16 mph will still kill you just as dead as not having one.
    This is a goverment finding that I agree with. Tests done done by Snell inst. proved this back in the 60's- it's not rocket sience when you fiqure that the helmet weights enough to snap your neck at speeds over 16 mph.

And before anybody gets on their white horse to ride this down - I'll tell you now that I'm not against wearing helmets - I'm jus saying !
  5. cardboard

My buddy's son had the fastest Kawasaki and used to street race it. He had a 800.00 shoey helment on, he was doing over 70 and a mail truck pulled in front of him on a hill. He laid his bike down, slammed his head on the ground, broke his collar bone and slid over 100 feet on his head.
    He had steel plates in his collar bone. If I remember right he broke one of his arms too.
    He still has the helmet.
    Both his and his dad are sure the helmet saved his life.
    and yes it was DOT approved.

So I think helmets do more good than anybody realizes.
  6. detailer57

detailer57 New Member

I always wear a full face helmet. I have since I was about 15. However it should be a choice and not a law.

Helmets save me at least two times that I can prove.
  7. Fresno

Fresno New Member

And it easier on the clean up crew too, when the whole head is found in a bucket.
  8. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Good point Fresno - What with the ecomony being what it is any move to save a buck helps.:D
    And besides the helmet comes with a neat handle to cart off the remains.:roflmao:
  9. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

No matter law or state I wear my 1/2 lb beany (modified to be DOT - insert sticker and some online purchase invoices) It fits my head like a glove, is very comfortable and light but still has padding. Anything over 24mph it is a 50/50 chance whether a full face "saves" or "kills" you, if CB's friend didn't have a full face on maybe he would've seen that mail truck sooner with more perifial vision. If he was a hardcore racer he probably had a neck brace and back pad on top of the $800 helmet, if you are puttin 10+lbs on your head you need a neck brace to stop it from breakin yer neck!
  10. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Ditto on the neck brace and extra padding - was down in INDY for the MOTO GP last fall and watched a guy drop his Ducati comin out of the turn, was doing in excess of 140 mph. Bike slid about 200 feet and he did almost that much on his backside, half of it on the asphalt. Nothing broken and he walked away without a mark, his leathers didn't do as well; but with the sponser picking up the tab, I don't think he gave a hoot. The equipment did what it was supposed to do. He did lose the race thou.;)
  11. cardboard

Need to go to Alabama, they can't just pull you over.
    They don't even pay loud pipes any attention unless yer neighbor is calling and complainin.:rant:
    And there the Police just don't really bother you unless yer speeding.

They got better things to do.
  12. Ted

Ted New Member

Hay Cardboard
    I bought one of there Polo carbon fiber helmets It is extra light but its not DOT approved. The difference is 1/2 inch of beer cooler foam. It does have 3/8 inch of foam rubber. That Kevlar is light There made in Orlando it still took 2 weeks to get it They let me try on a couple to be sure of the fit thats the advantage of going to the factory. Now all I need is a ride. It's not that funny cardboard.
  13. cardboard

What !:gah:
  14. FLHTbiker

Oregon has become the most over protective state I have ever heard of. :gah:

So far the loud pipes issues have not surfaced, yet. Still can't pump our own gas and have to wait for the attendant to hand you the nozzle so you can pump gas in your bike, but not you car and don't even try putting the dam nozzle back on the pump. :angry:
  15. cardboard

Unless you want full service they ain't nobody here at 95% of the stations to pump gas for you, its up to you to pump yer own gas.
    And the Full service the gas is a lot higher too.
  16. FLHTbiker

Its Oregon law here, they say it creates jobs. I say pump our own gas and let those guys work in the fast food joints putting the mex's out of a job. :D