1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Evo big bore kits?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Nov 10, 2013.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Has or have anyone used or heard of Axtell big boar kits , they say 85in bolt on kit , new jugs/pistons & wriest pins & comect gaskets just under $950.00 , I have a EV 27 cam to go in already , I'am window shopping for now , Have to see what budget I can put together , if I even go this way , Thanks
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

3. cowboy

Thanks for this link it better then the one I have about $100 better :D, the 85in is all I'll want / if I even do it
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Axtell is a well known maker of performance cast iron cylinders. NRHS Performance I know uses them in their kits. You could also go with someone like Revolution Performance, send them your cylinders to bore at a cost of $100, and have them match to a set of their pistons.
    http://www.revperf.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_35&products_id=210
    Even after adding a top end gasket kit you are still around half of the cost of most complete kits out there.

You're limited on the EVO to between 83" and 85" max before needing to bore cases.

If considering head porting, I recommend Big Boyz head porting. For around 300 you can have the heads cleaned up and ported which is less than many others charge. Combined with the boring the bike would have outstanding power.
  5. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Axtell was a killer cylinder a long time ago now I would not put them on a lawn mower .the cylinders do not stay round .if you cut one in half you would see why there is hollow spots between the cylinder liners and the jug . Many write ups on htt and pics as well . Send yours out youll be better off. Oh and look up the pics and horror stories
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

leave it 80, do the heads with kirby, put in better higher comp pistons, bigger carb and intake, go CV44, drop in a wood w-6 510 lift street cam, balance the flywheels using darkhorse or kirby, make it a fun smooth runner...
  7. cowboy

thanks to All these are the answers I was looking for , I know the EVO is limited to no more then 85 with out working the cases ,That's why I was window shopping the 85 in kit ,I Don't want to mark a hot rod so to speak , just a tad bit more HP & TQ ,I can see on my bike the Rocker Box covers have red gaskets , so there after market ,Guess I see what else has been done after I pull it down ,Bike pulls & Runs hard for a 80in ,Just the base gasket weep is why I'am pulling it down
  8. baggerpaul

power is found in the head ya gotta pull them any way . mill them port them stick a cam in it 0 deck the block bet it will make 1 hp per ci and it will run tits
  9. hotroadking

the ev27 is a good cam too,

yep get kirby to clean up the heads and intake
    get some compression in the cylinders and leave
    the bore along, if you can drop in the cyl and pistons
    that's great nothing subs for cubic inches except a blower.... LOL

Doing the heads though is key, even if it's just a street port
    and flow, matching the intake to the heads, clean up the
    exhaust a bit, that will improve the whole package..
  10. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

EV27 and Wiseco 10:1 pistons go good together,Kirbys street port and you may still be able to use your CV40...fun bike to ride...:D
  11. cowboy

Now this is what I'am really looking for , Like I said before ,I'am not sure what's inside YET ,I have the top end gasket set & EV 27 already , so head work & nose cone gasket & maybe cam bearing ,Have to see what's in there
  12. baggerpaul

Don't forget to get rid of that plastic breather gear! Put the s&s one in there
  13. Lucifer

With a new cam,you'll want a new inner bearing(Torrington B138))and new lifters...Might also want to consider a Dyna 2000i ignition....
  14. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

. . . and the list goes on LMAO.
  15. cowboy

Ya they like spending our money we don't have anyway ,But there right , I 'll check the cam bearing when I'am in there to see if it's already been changed or need to be changed , lifters are on the list ,wasn't sure about the breather gear , if it's plastic it will be changed , Might have to sell a kidney to get all these parts , Joshbob you have a spare one to donate ? :rolleyes:
  16. Lucifer

Heh,what's your budget cowboy?? We can blow that outta the water in a heartbeat:D LOL...
    Torrington bearing is only about $7.00 and should be replaced when going with a new cam...same with lifters unless they are really,really low miles on them...Ignition is not an absolute necessity...But you will be raising compression...
  17. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

I send you a wee little money order for a tank and it burned a hole in your pocket so bad you need a new motor job? Hah! And I thought I was spendy with money!
  18. cowboy

well the $7.00 I can handle Budget is tighter the dicks hat band , But doing a little at a time buying parts as I can , I was planning on checking into the Ignition , But depends on what I find when I pull the heads , like I said the rocker box gaskets have been changed already by someone else , so with some luck first owner did some work the inside , Roadster guy the base gasket rear cyl has a slight weep so I'am going to pull the top end to replace it & get some goodies while in there
  19. cowboy

OH ya I also found out there's two good head guys in the area , came from word of mouth from a guy who has EVO's & has used both , so no shipping charges
  20. hotroadking

better us helping ya spend the money on your bike
    than the kids or wife spending it for ya on clothes, food and
    books n such..