1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

EVo Question

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Feb 6, 2008.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

My son has has a offer to trade his custom that he's selling here for a 89 FLHT classic with only 20-25K on the bike looks like new & runs the same he's want to make a street glide looker out of it , but want more ponies without going over about 4K for parts , I have never had a EVO ( went from shovel to TC ) any ideas will help , he alos want good reliabill bike
    Thank's in advance it is a carb model
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i have not heard any bad about evos....but, i have never owned one either....
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I would not spend $4K on the motor (assuming that's what you meant) to hop it up.

I would sell the stock evo for $1500 to $2000 to someone that is building a bobber and then take that money, add to your budget and buy a 96 Inch S&S Evo or 100 RevTech or El Bruto. Shop around you should be able to get the Revtech under $4K, install it yourself, not hard to do.

Now you have a warranty motor in the bike with all the power you need.

As to street gliding the bike all you need to do is dump the bag rails, drop the spots off the front and pop on a lower windshield.
  4. paco

paco New Member

5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

thanks paco.....i was hoping you would see this and give out some prices and links.......:)
  6. cowboy

Thank's paco I will pass this info on the him , I see in the pic your no small guy , My son's about 6 ft & 280 lbs , the bike looks a lot like your you have the 107 right ,
  7. ggreenetx

ggreenetx New Member

Cowboy, I have a 90 model Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC that I have had the topend rebuilt on and added the S & S Super E carb. Also added the thunderheader exhaust. The motor is very reliable and has plenty of power. It will cruise 70 to 80 all day. If he wants to keep the Evo motor he will enjoy it, and it is a very reliable motor.
  8. paco

paco New Member

Cowboy,

Yes, my 90 Eglide is virtually trhe same bike that your son has purchased. I installed a 107" Ultima engine on it with no issues. Had to up grade the clutch, put a torque arm from Screaming eagle and a Ultima 6 speed. The bike is a total different bike now. I'm 6' 1" @ 230 lbs on a good day, the bike has no problem, loads of torque. Have not had it dynoed yet, soon I hope.

later....................
    P1010009-1.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
  9. cowboy

ggreentx & poco Thank's for your input , i told my son about your post poco & ggreen & he said he get home & look it up here , he has not made the deal complete yet but is looking forword to it , I told him you put a link up poco so he's real intersted in looking at it
  10. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

EVO hop up

You should be able to build the EVO for about $2,500.00,
    depends on who does the work, S &S has several kits that will work great, I have had several. My wife rides a 1990 Fatboy I put 10:1 pistons an EV3 cam one of Ken's modified CV carbs and it keeps up with my twin cam and still gets 50 plus miles to the gallon. I would stay away from the high rev cams it takes to long for them to hit the power ban. This will probably start an argement but a good modified and tuned correctly CV carb is way better than any S & S carb, speaking from experince. :fight:
  11. cowboy

harleysLR I agree about the S&S carb I tried on years ago on my shovel , that had some goodies in it , never could get it right so I reworked the bendix carb & it worked for many years :D
  12. Blockhead97

Blockhead97 New Member

80" and happy

I have a 97 evo 80" Eglide that has been stripped down before the Streetglide came about, and the motor has a stage 2 upgrade with EFI and it is cammed for the open road. I love the evo and this one is a sweet heart! At 80mph it will pull away strong from my buddies 103" SE Ultra... I agree though with the previous posters about swapping out for the big inch evo if your goal is to go for 100+ cid, but I am totally happy with my lightly modified 80".
  13. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

My guess is the bottom end is in good shape. If you have a top end done maybe have the heads ported and flowed by someone with a flow bench that knows what they are doing. Not all that expensive. Add the S&S Super E and a set of good pipes and you will have a cool running shovel with pretty darn good power and you have done nothing but make it breathe and if anything increase the reliability.
    Having said that the S&S 96" inch is a fire breather! I have had not one lick of trouble with mine since 1999. I kind of lost track of the mileage because I have changed speedometers three times but a guy in town here has the 96" with (dig this) over 135,000 miles on it and he don't baby it. Only thing he has done is replace the jug gaskets when they started to leak. It is arguable that the EVO is the best engine Harley ever made. I was unintimadated by it when stepped up from my shovel, can't say that about the injected twinkie I have all that computer **** scares hell out of me. AL
  14. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

CORRECTION!! I ment to say a cool running EVO, sorry. AL
  15. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

I built a mild 80" EVO for my 96 Road King. .005" over Keith black flat top pistons, Screamin Eagle Heads, Jims lifters and adjustable pushrods, Andrews EV27 cam and Vance&Hines ProPipe. It dynoed at 82 HP and 88FtLbs torque. I out run most of my friends with their 95" stage 2 Big Bores and all of the newer 96 inch bikes. It runs strong all day long and I didn't give an arm or a leg for the parts. Still get better than 40 miles to the gallon and it has over 25000 miles since being reborn.
  16. cowboy

Al yes the lower end is in top shape my bro-in-law has the bike , he just wants a lighter bike he has two bad knee's , had one fixed once & it's going bad again the bike only has between 20 & 25 k on it , he just rides 7 take's good care of his stuff , no hot rodding , & he does not go on trips on the bike a long ride for him is about 200 miles round trip because of his knees