1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

EVO starting problem

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by beast, Aug 5, 2004.

1. beast

beast New Member

My 98 Evo's starter will not crank (engage). When I hit the starter button I just hear a whine? Any ideas? :confused:
  2. J.J.Jensen

J.J.Jensen New Member

Whiny Starter

Sounds like the the spring that pushs the starter gear into place on the clutch ring is not engaging. You have problems in your primary case. Could be the little bearing on the end of the shaft that this gear rides on, is shot and the shaft is not level. This causes the gear to hit the side of the ring gear instead of egaging into the teeth on the ring gear. I had this problem on my FL and had to replace the bearing, then everything was fine.