1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

EVO Won't start

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by IronheadAJ, Jun 12, 2009.

1. IronheadAJ

IronheadAJ New Member

Hello everyone,
    Thanks for the input eveyrone. The contacts on the relay were pretty nasty so we cleaned them with some alcohol and it seemed to work for the rest of the evening while I tried to get the bike started!!!

Here's the story, I'm planning on leaving PA for TX next Tuesday night. This Tuesday night I took it to work and back, 80 miles round trip. Runs like a champ, I stopped over to the watering hole and have a few. When I come out an hour later and try to start the bike she starts hard, then once I got her going I have to keep on the throttle to keep her going. I live fairly close and barely made it home, popping and sputtering, and when I did get home she was hotter than hell after just about a mile or so. First thing I did was pull the plugs, both are bone white.

Ok I thought, it must be a clogged jet, pull the jets out, couldnt' see anything definite that would be a clog. Put it all back together, and try to start it, after I changed the plugs of course. Now it doesn't start at all. I have to choke it completely and when I do that, and it does take a couple cranks to start, it rev's up to like 3000 rpm! As soon as I shut the choke off even half way it shuts off.

I've done the following:

It's an 89' FLHTC with a Kenin(sp?) butterfly carb.

Cleaned both jets.
    Drained tank and cleaned tank screen and petcock
    Used some carb cleaner to spray in the throttle body.
    Checked float valve, no binding or anything there.

I haven't pulled the carb off yet. Anyone have any idea's? I'm in a real bind here and I'm running out of time. I don't think I'd be able to obtain and replace a carb to something else before taking on a 3000 mile trip.

Going to change the plugs too, is there a chance it's not a carb problem, but a low spark from the coils or plugs? Just had the compliance fittings changed last fall. And they look good and besides, even when they were cracked, the bike woudl still start, it would just run like ****.

What's getting me is it was running right as rain then just started acting up. I really thought it was just a clogged jet but now I'm thinking it's a clogged Carb.

HELP!!!! PLEASE, I really need to make this trip and I'm out of time!!!! :gah:
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

from your description, it is running way lean. white plugs and overheating, and popping, there is a fuel restriction. with the hose off the tank, do you get a good stream. with the bottom of the bowl off, turn on the fuel, do you get a good stream from the needle and seat??? are the intake gaskets in good shape. if you are sucking air at the seals/gaskets the engine cannot suck in enough fuel. hope this helps a bit.......
  3. IronheadAJ

IronheadAJ New Member

Hi Chuck, thanks for the quick reply. I agree that's it's way lean and that woudl explain why the choke all the way open will start it, but as soon as you shut it off it dies. (No fuel)

The bowl is full of gas everytime I pull it down. I have not done the stream test to carb because I do have gas in the bowl. At this point I think it's either the carb clogged between the jet and the chamber or the carb just crapped out on me. Just had the intake gaskets changed last fall and they still look pretty good.

4. chucktx

even a trickle of gas will fill a bowl, but might not flow as fast as it should. pull the carb and bowl. take some carb cleaner and flush out all the holes with the red tube that comes with the cleaner. attach the fuel line to the carb and turn on the valve. should rush out pretty good, then ease up on the float to be sure it will stop the flow. make sure the float is set correctly. check the line from the tank to the carb, it may be deteriating and not letting enough fuel into the bowl. particles from the hose may be entering the carb, possibly sticking in the inlet tube. just throwing out some ideas here..........let us know.
  5. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Check the float needle and seat while ya got it off; might be stickin if it's worn.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

replace intake seals, if you have one cracked or leaking it can cause you to go lean, also the carb is vac operated so be sure the vac lines are in good shape, last part could be petcock isn't sending fuel because of vac

One other test, open the fuel cap, if the vent iss clogged it wont work and you won't be able to pull fuel.
  7. IronheadAJ

IronheadAJ New Member

Found it

Massive air leak due to both Compliance fittings having holes in them big enough to put your finger through!!!! Just had this changed last year!!! MF!! Found replacements front and back at a stealership about two hours away!!!
    Is this common for these things to tear like this? May have to got a solid manifold!!!

Thanks again everyone!!!
  8. chucktx

not normally. but if the installer is a bit careless they will tear.