1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Exaust Header Stud Broken - AGAIN!

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Red Rider, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Anyone know if there are better grade of header studs than stock that are safe to use in a Twin Cam? After finding my exhaust was loose at the rear port, I went to tighten it up, using a torque wrench set at 90lbs (manual calls for 120lbs, but I already broke a stud upon removal once so was gonna be gentle). The (*^%#@:rage::mad::punch:$#%$&^!!!!!!! :rage: thing broke at 50lbs!

:bangheadThis is the second time this year a header stud has broken on me. Anyone suggestions? And yeah, I am actually thinking of doing the "buy another one" replacement method. :punch:Craaap.

Time for some day drinkin'............:arghh:....................and a smoke :cigar:
  2. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Check your manuel again...Should be 90 inch lbs, I believe
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

LOL I'd just get HD studs, they have been lasting for years on millions
    of bikes..

The ones that get ridden a lot, like you, find the weak spots, just hit the
    dealer, get new studs and install to spec, the HD manual should have it,
    I'm not near mine...

BTW ya should be careful telling folks yer exhaust stud is loose, unless of course yer living in San Fran! :mooning:
  4. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Yeah Charlie, that was my first thought. Inch Pounds or Foot pound? I made that mistake once on my outboard, dumbcuff!
  5. Fatboy128

Just checked my '05 Fatboy (Softail) Factory Shop Manual. 100-120 INCH pounds. I've had mine off and on several times without a break. And honestly, without a torque wrench. Goodentite!
  6. hotroadking

yeah 120 ft pounds would be overkill..
  7. Red Rider

:bangheadJust talked with JohnnyBiker, and he confirms that EVEN THOUGH THE MANUAL SAYS 120lbs, I should have just gone until it was snug. F the manual...thank you H-D:finger:: got screwed, by the book.:wtf:

Gotta sober up before tackling this. With more poor eyesight up close and weak hands from spinal injuries, this will be even less fun to pull the head and get the stud replaced. I still have to wrench my Jeep CJ-7, too, that has the dang tranny stuck in 2nd. When it rains, it poors....even in Nevada.
  8. Fatboy128

Wow to the manual saying 120 POUNDS! I wonder how man guys broke studs because of the typo in the manual.
  9. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Never looked in the HD manual,but from after market ex.pipe instructions 90-120in/lbs.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk
  10. hotroadking

Naw he thought it said, find a gal that weighs a 120 pounds and insert stud....
  11. Red Rider

From the manual:

1999 FL
    1450cc 5-SPEED MODELS
    SERVICE MANUAL
    Copyright 1998
    H-D MoCo
    P.N. 99483-99A
    EXHAUST SYSTEM

"page 2 -110 para. 13. a. Tighen the Exhaust System as follows....Tighten lower nut to 120 in-lbs. Final tighten top nut to 120 in-lbs."

Right from the manual...not "near 120 in-lbs" or "no tighter than 120 in-lbs", but
    "to 120 in-lbs"
    Not a typo, as it is repeated. What would a typo be of, anyway? 12 in-lbs? 20 in-lbs? Both too low. Nope, deliberate info.
  12. hotroadking

Yeah you gotta watch the inches....

In-lbs = Inch Pounds..... LOL

120 in-pounds = approx 10 Foot pounds

Now if you have a Metric calibrated torque wrench its 13.56 Newton meters...

Just in case ya need that..
  13. Red Rider

:banghead

Got me. Just checked my torque wrench and it was set on ft-lbs, not in-lbs.:confused: Should have used the Newtons scale - less confusing.

So I went to 5 times standard pressure and it was still leaking exhaust prior to breaking? Marvelous.

I'd really rather ride than wrench!!
  14. hotroadking

did you replace the gaskets, they can get cattywhompus sometimes.

Don't use the SE thin ones, just use the stock HD, also freeze them before installing the cold shrinks the gaskets and makes it easier to install.

Check header for cracks, it's pretty common.
  15. Red Rider

Thanks for the info, but now I'll suck it up & take it to a shop. I got it taken down to the the point that it warns about removing the rocker arms and damaging things, and I am at the limit of my very limited skill set. If I had someone here to guide my attempt, I'd go for it, but I don't. As Det. Harry Callahan says: "a man's got to know his limitations". I just wish JohnnyBiker lived a few thousand miles closer! He's a righteous bro o' the road.

I have no idea how to "take the load off" and avoid creating a bunch of new problems. I will go with a new gasket/parts and get it done right, but with my limited eyesight (far sighted) and dealing with severe back pain (so taking prescribed, brain-muddling meds), I just don't think I should risk costing much more riding time and $$$$. ARR:arghh:GGH! So close, and yet so far.

I love this bike. Ol' Red has take me coast to coast and shown me the USA, and some of Canada. My wife says "buy a new one", wonderful partner that she is, but I just can't make myself do it. Maybe I am too sentimental for my own good, but I just won't give up on her ( Ol' Red, the bike - or my wife, either!).

Now I got to get her on the trailer, always a sad thing to trailer a ride. Like taking your kid to the hospital. At least the only crying will be mine.

One last whine before I go. I hate to even say it, but the SuperTrapp 2-1 exhaust I put on has been the root of all my ills, at least in my mind. The first one wouldn't fit properly at all, and while their customer service readily gave me a replacement, (props to them for that), the replacement never sealed properly on the rear exhaust port, even after multiple gasket replacements. I might bite the bullet and get a new V & H Pro Pipe set, as I had before. The last one I had went bad (shook the baffle cone out) after 50K miles, but I think I may have had a hand in making that happen. I think I failed to LocTite the baffle screws before it was too late and they rattled the screw holes open too wide to use eventually. Live and learn....but I would rather learn from others' mistakes, rather than my own. I do have more local pals that ride, but none wrench even as little as I do...they don't even change their own oil. Heck, only 1 has ridden over 700 miles in a day. I've lost count on that.

I still have to fix the stuck tranny on my old Jeep, but at least I know how to do that.

Crap, crap, crap, crap, crap!!!:wtf::banghead::eek::mad:....wish me luck!
  16. hotroadking

Good luck, taking the rocker arms off is a snap, 4 bolts up top and one in the center (allen) they are a PIA to get to on the rear head, but if you know it's your limit, then getting someone else to do it is wise.

Supertrapps are good pipes, you could run a stock header and some slip ons, they may have a take off stock header from someone that changed out to an aftermarket, you can get good power and decent sound that's not annoying over longer rides that way. Pro Pipes are good, they do have a quiet baffle thats more suited to riding long distances.

When you get it there take a new RK for a test ride, before you agree to the service work LOL Because you'll want to trade, the new bikes have more power, better chassis, brakes, efi, electronics, bigger rear tire, handle better,

I told two friends not to test ride them as they had an 11 and 07 FLH, both bought new Milwaukees after getting off the test rides at Daytona, it's that much different..

Hell you got the wifes ok! Don't waste it!
  17. Red Rider

So what is with this warning about "taking the load off", then?

Not going to a dealer for repair, taking to an indy shop. Thus I avoid temptation (though they are a couple blocks down from the Reno dealer).

I actually switched again, and am going with Bassani Road Rage 2-1 pipes. Willing to sell my SuperTrapps cheap, if anyone is interested.
  18. hotroadking

Yer gonna have to ask Fanny, or Annie, depending on how ya hear it..... :D

I'm presuming they are talking about lifters, before you take it apart
    pull plugs, turn over engine until you are at TDC, that way the lifters are at
    the back of the cam, not on the high lift point under pressure.
  19. Red Rider

It was Fanny, according to Robbie Robertson, but it isn't clear when you hear "off" before Fanny. Nickname of a bookstore owner, (Frances), that inspired him to include in the song (The Weight, by the band, Band, for those curious to know WTF)

OK, TDC takes the load off...why it couldn't say that I've no idea. Does it have to be precisely at TDC, or just close?
  20. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

back the adjustment off completely and that will close the valves so you can do what it is that you need to do. There is a simpler way to adjust the pushrods. A way that doesn't make it seem so daunting when you hear phrases like "finding top dead center." Also, you will be happy with the Basanni Road Rage. I just bought Hot Rider a bike and that's the exhaust I will be putting on her bike.
    Red Rider likes this.