1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Exhaust Dynamics

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Dec 24, 2014.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

When it comes to exhaust systems, there are so many different variables that determine how the pipe will perform. <br /><br />Take looks and number of pipes in the system out of the equation, what would you point to as being the MOST important variable in exhaust performance? Is it cam duration? Pipe diameter? Pipe length? Valve size? Cubic inches? <br /><br /> I am asking this for a few different reasons. One reason is I am trying to ascertain on what my starting point should be when picking a system for my builds. I will have one engine built here shortly with another one to hopefully soon follow.<br /><br />Thanks for reading and sharing. Let's see what shakes loose.[emoji54]<br/>
  2. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

They are all part of the package and should compliment each other to get the most out of your engine...
  3. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the engine and its design drawbacks as far as which exhaust performance element is most important in that case. A great cam with poor head flow will nullify the greatest exhaust system. I guess the proper ratio of flow versus backpressure to achieve most power output on a dyno for your engine, but that is a sum of all the elements you mention. I would guess exhaust pipe diameter and cam timing/selection as the elements I would say are universal to all motors big and small as the starting point for performance. This is a definitely a BaggerPaul question. Sorry for being vague.
  4. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

valve timing duration overlap and lobe seperation ! exhaust valve size and port crossection area . the bigger the pipe the slower the exhaust flow ! just like a garden hose and water flow . if i pinch off the end of the hose i can push water across the yard so if the hose end is to big the water hits my feet . k-i-s-s way of thinking works well here . exhaust valve and exhaust port is just a part of the pipe on a harley engine !
  5. JohnnyBiker

But pick one variable.
  6. baggerpaul

big on e for me would be exhaust duration
  7. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Guess I was close...:)
  8. baggerpaul

chew on this for a moment? why do stock engines responsod well to exhaust changes . most customers are very happy after a stage one and just any old map or jetting .add a stage two with cams now a full tune complaints about it being soft or jerky on the bottom . not being smooth . well its the longer duration and intake close ! the big exhaust dont play well .
  9. JohnnyBiker

So basically you are saying go opposite. Long duration, smaller pipe? Shorter duration, bigger pipe?
  10. baggerpaul

in a way what im trying to get across is that you can get away with a larger than needed exhaust system in the cam is very short in duration.
    Smaller diameter pipes flow less volume than larger ones, but the exhaust in the smaller pipe flows faster. Until you reach the RPM where the sheer volume of exhaust gases require bigger primary tube diameters, smaller tubes will scavenge the cylinders more efficiently. If you're using the engine in the 1,500 to 3,500 RPM range, which is typical for a street-driven vehicle, you definitely want 1-1/2" to 1-5/8" primary tubes for any small block and 1-3/4" to 1-7/8" for a big block engine. Any bigger and you'll lose a considerable amount of low end torque. beyond 3,500 RPM it is a question of where you want the power peaks.
  11. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

If you're not going to do competition drag racing pick a pope that has the sound , look, and good quallity you're going to enjoy
  12. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

Hope Charlie46 meant pipe not pope, no need to throw in religion(lol) We all want THAT sound with performance. there are so many factors but not quite enough will usually work better than to much. P/S we all want more.
  13. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

The pope has a Harley
  14. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

With or without a sidecar???
  15. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

The shape of the header pipe.
    And the size of the muffler, and if it holds in any back pressure in.
    Choosing the wrong muffler can hold you back a little, and it can hurt in in different ranges of the rpms.
    Baggerpaul ought to be able to explain it to you a little better.

If you get the pipe too big Its not gonna help you.
    Cam duration is totally different.
    You can get a Woods 222 cam that will work great with stock heads and stock motor.
    But if you go with the Woods 555 cam, it s the same cam but has more duration.
    And to make it turn on you need more compression.

everything has to work in Harmony. You just don't throw things you like together.

A head man or a builder or tried and proven kits are a great way to go.
  16. JohnnyBiker

Sorry guys, this conversation didn't work.

Thanks BaggerPaul for being on point.
  17. cardboard

I didn't read the whole post.
  18. cardboard

But I do call a exhaust mfg and talk to them about their product.
    I don't tune bikes like Baggerpaul does.
    So I can't explain it as well.