1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Exhaust POP

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 28, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

When I was at the dealer today, I noticed when i fired the bike to go, I revved up the bike a little and I heard this popping noise. I noticed that it as only doing this when I rolled on the throttle. I had to stop for gas a little ways down the road. Now when I fired the bike up, after it was warm, it did not do this. So when I got home, I let the bike cool down and I took a look at the exhaust and did notice that at the head it look to be loose. So I tried to get the exhaust tightened up. When I was done, the clamp was butt up against the head. When I fired the bike up, same popping noise. I am really frustrated because I wanted to go on my dealer ride tonight. What did I do wrong?
  2. steveb

steveb Active Member

With all of the updates did you take the header pipes off ? If you have did you put in new gaskets ?
  3. JohnnyBiker

You know I would like to think that the guy that did the work did do that, but after getting in there and looking over the bike, I am not so sure anymore. I just hate the guy that did the work on my bike.

I did not take the whole pipe out. I just realigned it and tightened it back up. With this bike, it is just absolutely hard as hell to get at that front nut on the front cylinder. I had to take my horn off in order to get at it decent. The frame is in the way. :gah::banghead:
  4. steveb

steveb Active Member

Some guys don't always replace the exhaust gaskets. Myself if I take the header pipe off I always put new ones in .It is easier to get a good seal.
  5. JohnnyBiker

That is a good idea. I think that I may have to a mini parts store in my garage just so I can get the work done by myself. Then I know that it is done the way that it should be. This guy didn't even like answering questions that I had. If found a different guy that will let me be in his shop as he is working my bike so I can see what is happening and how to go about doing this stuff so I can do it myself. Now that is the way that it should be. What do you think?
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

works for me..................
  7. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Exhaust gaskets tend to pinch or compress and don't always seal correctly when reinstalled. Often when re-tightening they will collapse further making the seal worse. When cool air is drawn back into the exhaust near the port it will pop or backfire.
  8. JohnnyBiker

Why would they not put new gaskets in? That just seems lazy to me!!
  9. JohnnyBiker

yep. I took the old gasket out today and sure shizznit, it was beat to hell. I had a new one but for some reason I could not get the clamps to seal right. In the process, I screwed the new one up so now I have to go get another one. I am really angry at this Ahole that worked on bike.
  10. Chrome

Chrome New Member

fuel filter replaced?? every 25,000 miles...
  11. JohnnyBiker

Yes. I have replaced the petcock filter and and I had put an inline on as well. I saw the exhaust coming out of the leak when I would throttle it. Talk about pissing me off! :cussing:
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

There are two types of exhaust gaskets, Screaming Eagle and stock

The SE are flat tighter narrower, and don't expand into the flow of the port/pipe like the stock conical shaped gasket.

The stock ones can be a bit of a PIA to install, when you remove the old one clean
    out the gasket surfaces, a soft brass brush, or rag with some brake cleaner get the carbon out and a nice clean surface then install, working it in around the port, it might
    distort a little but you can push it back, if it really distorts then get another.

JMO when you go to buy the gaskets, get 4 new exhaust nuts, and buy a couple extra nuts and gaskets put them in with the parts bin, they are not as expensive as the gas to go to the dealer to pick them up...
  13. JohnnyBiker

It is funny that you should mention the other gasket other than the stock one. I had the wife go to the local custom shop and pick up more gaskets, but she came back with a different style. These look a lot easier to install. Pretty dummy proof. I will get this going tonight.
  14. JohnnyBiker

Well. I mocked up the pipe with the new gasket, and I have to say that this thing is the answer to my prayers. Everything seems to fit right, i am able to get the flange clam butt up against the head. Wonderful. Now all i need to do is eat supper and go and get the rest of it mounted so I can fire it up and see if they work. :cool::D
  15. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

use some never sieze and be sure to torque to specs......will leak if ya dont.........
  16. JohnnyBiker

I do not have a torque wrench that small. I will have to be careful until I get it in the shop on Friday to get that carb tore off. I need to go a little more on tightening one of the nuts. Small leak yet, No big deal.