1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Exhaust Question

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by bushwackerhd, Mar 14, 2010.

1. bushwackerhd

bushwackerhd New Member

While having a beverage with a few friends last night, one of the guys was talking about a cracked head pipe on a 91 bagger. I told him I knew of one off a 06 Street Glide the question is will it fit on his bike, after a few more beverages I told them I would post it today and maybe we could find out.

Thanks for any input in advance
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

The right rear exhaust pipe part number ends in -98(introduced in 1998) and is the one prone to cracking, at the "Y", the left rear pipe ends in -99 and so does the front head pipe, so by going by the numbers I'd guess "no",
    There is an exhaust header system on Ebay right now from a 2007 Touring bike and says it will fit '95-'08 Touring, so still a "no".
    There is a '90 decker at my bud's place now along with my '03 dirty cop king, so I'll closely check out the pipes tomorrow evening to see what subtle changes were made in pipe routing, possibly the only changes made are at the ends where the mufflers attach so the right rear(Y pipe)may fit. Which pipe is cracked?? So my answer now is "maybe":):roflmao:
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

weld it back together...
  4. bushwackerhd

bushwackerhd New Member

It has multiple cracks at the Y-pipe, would not be worth the time and effort to fix it. If all else fails he'll have to buy a new one, or go to a stagered setup if he can't find what he needs. Lucifer if you could take a look at yours I would appreciate it.
  5. nebassin

nebassin New Member

J_B weld it. the heat shield should cover the puddy weld
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I would look for a set of V&H true dual headers on craigslist or ebay.. eliminate the problem
    altogether, pretty common, typically a bad install of exhaust, or things get loose
  7. Lucifer

Checked out the '90 bagger...it's got true duals on it, so I can't help you out there.

On the down side tho....was getting ready to install TW21 cams and tensioners in mine until I/we saw the oil pump was pretty scratched up around the outside of the housing so took the guts out and the inner back side is scored up too:cussing::banghead:so now the SE hydraulic conversion kit is on the way.
  8. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Here is a number to the Latus Motors giant Harley salvage store. Mega used parts good luck. (503) 284-2262
  9. Lucifer

Doing some reading today on the net and came across a post about a guy that put V&H slipons on his 88 bagger, by putting on head pipes from an '07 bagger, said the only difference was where the mufflers fit on the ends of the head pipes.

Thanks for the number FLHTbiker, I got the SE hydraulic conversion kit on Ebay for $379.95US +34.50US shipping came to $428 Cdn, Dealer here wanted $400.00 Cdn for just the stock oil pump, just gotta get the drive gear retention kit and spacer kit.
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

lucifer look on ebay for those parts ,I found mine there & saved a few dollars I did like you & bought it all on the bay except the gasket set ,My bro-in-law had one
  11. bushwackerhd

bushwackerhd New Member

Thanks for the reply, I'll let him know.

Tom
  12. bushwackerhd

bushwackerhd New Member

FYI I got to working on the 91 last week and the head pipes off of a 06 street glide fit like a glove. Maybe the only difference between the two is they reinforce the new one where they tend to crack.
  13. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

glad ya got it handled.....thanks for the update!
  14. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Yea thank's for the up date , some good info to know , they will interchange :cool: