1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Exhaust smell

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by FLHTbiker, Feb 4, 2009.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

My 09 Ultra has had a bad exhaust smell sense I bought it especially on decel and was starting to really bother me. I have a CO2 tester in my truck for checking gas and oil furnaces exhaust leaks when doing home inspections. So I put my bike up on my lift strapped it down and started it up. I ran it up and down then started my tester and took the wand and placed it in various places checking the readings. While backing off the gas I found the rear exhaust header was leaking at the flange by quit a bit. There was no ticking sound either. I had previously told my dealer sense it was still under warranty about it as sometimes it was so strong it would make me cough. The dealer service writer said well we would probably have to charge you for that sense you swapped out your mufflers yourself and its probably leaking there. :angry:
    That really pissed me off right away for one thing I've swapped out mufflers on my bikes and many others for a long time with no bad results of an exhaust leak.
    I tightened the bolts almost 2 turns each making sure that I didn't snap a stud. Rechecked it and barley any noticeable exhaust leaking now. Road it for a while and what a difference. Now I'm going to the dealer and rub his nose in it. :fight:
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

good for you.......rub,rub,rub!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Just make sure the pipes are HOT so he get's a red spot right on the tip :D
    Chuck good to see you have your string & can fixed:D
    I woild also change out the exhaust gaskets as soon as possable
  4. biker1953

biker1953 New Member

Exahaust Smell

Hi There,
    I have a 2007 Heritage softail, I recently put an Arlen Ness Big sucker air intake on it vance and hines fuel-pak and Vance and hines straight shot slip-on mufflers. when I park the bike after riding a while I smell exahaust fumes for a while, V&H told me to clean the plugs ( WHAT!) that don't sound right so now I'm waiting on another answer that makes sence. What do you think? or did you ever experience that issue in the past?.
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Biker1953, Ive never experienced that one, sounds a bit strange but one never knows. Maybe someone else here has had that experience.