1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Extended Float Bowl

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Apr 29, 2013.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Now that I am near done with the break in period with the Road Glide, I have been looking into getting the more precision based Woods tuner kits that he offers. All seems great but he suggests and so have others, to put the extended bowl kit on. OK? The basic argument for the kit is that you don't want to run out of gas a Wide Open Throttle (WOT). What if one isn't at WOT a lot? What if the only time that the bike will ever see WOT is on the dyno? Not that the extended bowl kit is really all that much money, but it just seems to me that it is not really needed. I do not want to say that is completely unnecessary, but for someone who built a slightly more than mild performance engine, just seems not to be needed. Here is another question. Isn't how fast your bowl fills dependent on the GPM rating of the petcock? Thanks.
  2. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

and also how fast the bowl empty's out is based on how much the motor consumes dependent on the size of the main jet used to feed fuel. now with that said . my 98 ci motor with a stock petcock fed my 44 with a 220 main to 148 mph On the dyno in 5 gear to red line . on the road it ran out at just over 110 it went lean replaced the petcock . and all is well chances are that if I would have had an extended bowl maybe it would have been fine . the only way your gonna know that you need it will be when your on the dyno . so with that said do you run your bike at those speeds ?
  3. JohnnyBiker

No, I am not at those speeds. I can't say that I have ever had my Road Glide that fast. Remember, we did change the pet **** as well so I am no longer running the factory vacuum operated one. If I am going to be using a jet that is equivalent to the 220, or is near that, I really don't see the need for the bowl kit. JMO.

Who here has actually used one of these bowl extension kits? What engine did you have it on?
  4. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

hrk with his rebel 505 and a 124 ci . and well he would need it !that's a lot of ci . oh and I did remember the petcock . that's why I stated that it was fine when I changed mine . the difference in my fuel was the force of the wind against the faring and my upper body .
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

It's pretty much like an insurance policy JB you may not need it but it allows more capacity in the float bowl so you don't have that issue, yeah my 124 needed it could suck a bowl dry easy...

It depends on your riding style and how you tune it.

Crusing, nah but those occasions when you get on it then it's nice to have
    the extra capacity.

The woods jets are spaced in .001 increments and the needle is better for
    fuel mileage and power, I'd go with just the jets and needle and your tech
    will be able to dial the carb in exactly vs close to exactly...
  6. JohnnyBiker

I would rather just do that for now. I have believe it or not thought about doing the extension kit but I just go back to the "need" thing as of now. I guess time and tune will tell. :cool:
  7. Sir Rat

Sir Rat Active Member

I think some people have nothing better to do but sit around all day thinking up different gadgets for us to spend our money on! IMHO

Aloha...Mike
  8. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Yeah insurance,one of those "Is it better to have it and not need it or need it and not have it"

My Evo would suck the bowl dry on the CV40...but that was on the throttle hard and around the same speed as BP's when it would stall out...nuttin pizzes ya off more than coasting down down the road waiting for the bowl to fill,then it fires again, ya hammer it,ya start passing the guys that caught and passed you when it was coasting and it stalls out again:angry:

If you're gonna be occasionally blasting past the ton mark feeling all that new power it would suck to run dry....mine was just 80" and CV40...you have 98" and a 44mm,so I'd say if you're gonna wind her out from time to time,you might want the spacer...
  9. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

Ive used extended bowls & high flow petcocks on race bikes & very aggresive street bikes for 20+ years,but ide look into just a good petcock (PINGLE) before i looked into a extended bowl in this case
  10. JohnnyBiker

Thanks. I am going to take that advice and run with it. :D I sure do like that Golan that we put on. :D
  11. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

not quite a pingle,but a golan is still way better than your stocker.
  12. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I run a Pingel petcock on mine, and it does flow much better than stock.

I did learn (the hard way, as usual:banghead:) that the Pingel IS adjustable with regard to the position of the fuel selection switch. It just didn't say anything on the package about it. If you go Pingel and have a question, just ask.
    :cheers: