1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Fabricating Exhaust Extensions

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Aug 15, 2009.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

You guys will laugh at what I'm doing. Never have like the old Sampson exhaust mufflers that came with the 01 Springer. They have gouges in the pipes, no baffles, chrome is chipping off so I decided to replace them with a set of V&H fishtail pipes. Problem is the V&H pipes don't mount up like the others do. I was down at the take off Harley store today (tons of used parts off all makes of Harley's) kind of like a super used parts store for Harley's. I came across 4 pieces of Chrome windshield sections. Light bulb went off and took them home with me. Took two of them and cute drilled and shaped and put chrome paint on the ends where I ground and shaped them to mount up to the new pipes, worked very well. I'll finish the other side tomorrow and take a couple of photos. If there is a will there is always a way I say. :)
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

sounds like you know what your doing & it sounds like it will work well good luck
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

very cool!!!! your used take off store sound neat!!!! we dont have anything like that around here that i know of.....
  4. FLHTbiker

Chuck I think you would love that place, they got so much stuff in there that every time I go in there it just amazes me. Lots of stock take off parts but a lot of cool stuff to.
  5. chucktx

wish oregon was a bit closer!!!!!!
  6. cowboy

sounds like a good place to spend a few hours , do they have a web site?
  7. FLHTbiker

Cowboy no web site for the Take off Store we call it the crash and dent store, believe me its not that at all. Its a used parts super store.

Sorry I wasn't around earlier, went for a long ride than rode to dinner with the wife and friends.
    Here are the pics, first one is a piece of windshield chrome trim. I used four of them reforming each one. The second one is what they look like before installing. The other two pics although not real good is what they look like installed. They worked very well and hey who looks under the pipes anyway.

Attached Files:

8. cowboy

That's a good fab job ,& if they do look under there it;s chrome :D
  9. chucktx

great job.....and chrome is good!!!!!!!!