1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Fairing Repair

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Devolution, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Devolution

Devolution New Member

Is it possible to repair a upper bolt tab on a FLHTC fairing? I used a plastic glue from Eastwood without success. Would JB Weld do the trick?
    I have a new fairing on order from HD but I'd like to repair this in the mean time. Also any ever smooth out the road rash on your fairing? what did you use? I'm not sure if Bondo will just crack and fall off.
    Thanks for the help. Devolution.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i am not sure what a "upper bolt tab is". i will guess that you are talking about the brass fittings that are in the inner fairing???? if so, the dealer has a repair bushing for this problem. i have a few in my tool box, and will post the part number tomorrow, if ya want it. as for repairing the fairing, yes they can be repaired. only scratches can be repaird tho, not cracks. there is only one product i have found to stick to these plastics.....it is made by evercoat. it is a two part compound much like bondo, but adheares to plastics very good.....i posted a pic of my fairing that i repaird.....i fell down............:)
  3. Devolution

Devolution New Member

Thanks Chuck, i guess what I should have said this was post below the speakers that hold the inner fairing to the outer fairing. There is a long bolt about 1.25" inches long mounted to this post and it snapped off about 3/8" below the metal post. This is the only part that is broken. The reast of the fairing has just deep road rash could be smoothed over if I found the right filler. Can Evercoat be found in most auto supply store or is this a marine product?
    Thanks again, Devo.
  4. chucktx

the dealer will have the repair part for the post......
    yes, the evercoat is the brand name and the part name would be "metal etch"....auto parts that deal with paints should have it. it is about 30 dollars and includes the hardner. have fun, let us know how it comes out!!!:)
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

or just get a take off on ebay...
  6. chucktx

yup, that is another option!!!!!!!!!!:)
  7. ray2001

ray2001 New Member

Repair to fairing bolt tab

You can repair if with Evercoat 633 fibertech. It is a stranded filler with kevlar. You will have to sand into the fairing to give it something to bond to, then mold the tab. You may have to coat it with a filler to make it smooth, then prime sand and paint it. If you have ever done any body work it is a fairly simple task, if not find someone who has the skills to help.