1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Fairing Screws

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Jun 29, 2008.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Went on a Ride yesterday, went north of livingston up in the coutry. Wound up where the cell phone wouldn't even dial out. Looked on the GPS on how to git back somewhere to where I was wanting to go.
    Went up the road for a few miles and turned on a road in Mapleton, Tx. and turned right. went down the road a ways and come to a wooden bridge, it has a raised part so a vehicle could go over it, the road turned to dirt with some gravel, went on down the road and came to a metal grate bridge over a big creek, went on down the dirt and gravel road following the Zumo and the graded road had my fairing rattling.
    about 8 miles down the road we hit pavement again. Stopped and talked to my buddy on his classic and asked if his fairing was rattling he said his teeth was rattling, Ricky said he was lookin for the all wheel drive button.
    We rode about 20 miles down the road and stopped and got some gas and came home.
    Got invited to go out and eat at the Red Rooster resturant. Was told they got some good Rooster Balls. When we got there notised my fairing was rattling. It seemed to be riding a little rough.
    Today I took the air breather off and used some Kawasaki air breather cleaner I got for my Mule and sprayed it on it and washed it with the water hose and used the cycle dryer to blow it off. put it in the sun to dry.
    When I walked past the bike I brushed the fairing and it pulled out on the side. I said to myself, WTF I looked and the screw on the side next to the fariing vents was gone. I got a spare and put it in. Thought to myself, wonder if anymore are gone. looked on the other side and it was gone. Got another screw and stuck it in. looked next to the forks on the bottom and both them was gone, I freaked and said only the 3 screws on the windshield had the fairing held on. I got blue locktight and locktighted all 7 fairing screws. Man I never had them to come out before. Looks like I'm gonna have to go to the dealer and git some more screws for spares.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

better hope you did'nt use to much loctight , there just metel barrles in plastic , to tight & try to loosen you can strip the plastic , but a good contact cement will hold the barrels back in ,
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah those screws can be a PIA once one goes bad they all move around

Watch the faring mounts on each side of the radio, they tend to break up at the L joint at the top where it meets the faring.

A simple tack weld works but we've reinforced them with L brackets from Ace Hardware, cut and drill to fit. much stronger.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

aint nuthin like waiting for the fairing to fall off before checking on the rattle ya heard 3 days ago............:rolleyes:

ya need to go to the dealer and get the replacement inserts for the fairing cause ya aint gonna get them screws out without damaging the factory inserts............i believe i mentioned that before!!!!!:) the locktite is to strong for em.....a bit of fingernail polish will do.....and checking stuff out once in a while dont hurt either...................:D :D
  5. hotroadking

Personally I don't know how you guys ride around with all that crap attached to the handlebars anyway :roflmao:
  6. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

A fairing is one of the Best things they ever put on a motorcycle. Sooner or later you will wind up behind one !

Chuck better check the screws in yer fairing I might of borrowed a screw. I was telling you when we was at the Red Rooster having Roster Balls I hears something rattling when it was idling.
  7. chucktx

:roflmao:
  8. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Ok, I borrowed some polish from the wife and painted my nails, but how's that going to help secure the fairing? :roflmao:
  9. hotroadking

Yeah well I'm gonna need a walker, cane and nursing home too, but I'm not going out now and getting any of those things :roflmao:
  10. chucktx

depends on the color of your shoesz!!!!!:p
  11. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

I was cruzin down the highway one day & I heard something metal hit the pavement & then my bike, & off into oblivion somewhere....So I looked for a good place to stop....looked all around my bike & couldnt find anything missing....So then I'm freakin out cause I have no clue what this was, & I'm pretty sure it wasn't lifted off the pavement by my tire...I had screws fall out from my sissybar before so I wasnt surprized....just pissed I couldnt find it....well I got home & got into the garage & took my jacket off to start lookin again & found what it was......It was one of the snaps off of my jacket.