1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Faulty Digital Fuel Gauge

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Big Dee, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Big Dee

Big Dee New Member

My 2014 CVO Deluxe started flashing low fuel range when tank was full. Took to local HD, they switched out the gauge, that did not help, and then sender and still did not correct the problem. $900 later and it continues to flash low fuel light and indicate low range. I’m inclined to think it’s a short in the tank but HD doesn’t feel they should continue any further since they’ve done everything Harley tells them could be wrong. I still have to bring it back to fight with them but wondered if anyone has any idea what might be wrong?
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I'd complain like hell, $900 and they haven't fixed it
    and are saying they can't fix it?

Call HD, it's a CVO even if its out of warranty, and
    complain,
  3. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

Let me know how you make out with this, I have an 2011 that is doing the same, and the ABS light stays on and the bike does not have ABS o_Oo_Oo_O
  4. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Fellow Riders, these "smell" like ground/short problems to me. Pinching of wires can occur almost anywhere along the harness's path. It has happened to my ride, and it is a real tough problem to find sometimes - well, almost every time, unless you see the spark, hear the arc, and smell the smoke, that is. I was really surprised how even tied-down harnesses and wires can still slip around into places they shouldn't be - happens 'cuz of the wind and vibration the bike goes thru.

Yeah, Big Dee, fight that $900 BS. But if you have the shop look for wiring issue, it could run nearly as much. And Marc1340, getting a signal for a ghost unit just about has to be a wiring issue, or the logic unit that feeds your display. Got manuals? Look closely at relevant wires: on my ride, I couldn't find the problem until it was up on a stand, running - then I first heard tiny arcing and saw a slight spark (it was down near the oil filter).

It is a little bit of a pain to pull the tank and inspect the harness all the way back, but not complicated. If the sender in the tank is good, (and, though possible they replaced a bad one with a bad one, the symptoms you are getting are opposite of the more usual fault with senders, and basically unheard of except your case - ain't that special:banghead), it really has to be wiring.

As to the ABS signal, Marc134, my ride predates it so I can't be as certain, but it has to be either a display short, a fuse, or something simple. You should see what the service manual says about ABS fault indicators, as I believe the manual provides info for both those with and those without ABS.

If you don't have service manuals, get 'em. They cost a lot less than an hour of shop time, and can save ya a lot of headaches. You don't need to have special tools or master wrenching skills to quickly get your money's worth out of 'em.

Please tell us what you discover. Good luck!
  5. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

Red Rider, Thanks for the info, Not sure he want to pay me for hours looking for this wire problem, yes I doc have a service manual and pulling the tank to check the wiring under it. I will let you know what is going on. He needs a set of rear bag rails and had to look at it just to make sure I was ordering the right set for him and stood me up 3 times now he can chase me, My time is as valuable as his!!!