1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

favorite spray lube/penatrant

Discussion in 'The Polling place' started by ironhorse, Oct 25, 2006.

?

favorite spray lube/penetrant.

Poll closed Nov 4, 2006.
  1. wd-40

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. pb-buster

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. seafoam

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. bardol

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. lubriplate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. other

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

what is your favorite type of pen/lube coming out of a spray can? And CD let me know if this is OK on this forum. My favorite is Bardol super spray.
  2. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

Depends. 3 in 1 is good for some things, but KY is definetly better for other applications!;)
  3. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

:eek: k y in a spray can how conveniant.
  4. Harleywyld1

Harleywyld1 New Member

Pb

I use PB Blaster to loosen rusted bolts. I have never found anything that works as well as this and I have used plenty of others while working 26 years in a Steel Mill.
    As far as a lube I actually started using this on my saltwater fishing reels, I mix Marvel Mystery Oil with Penn Reel Lube. I put it in a small spray bottle and I never have problems with rust and it sure will make a reel spin smooth.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i posted other...balistoil.......german made during ww1.....still being made and the best lube i have found........
    chuck
  6. scooter

scooter New Member

So, Chuck, the question begs to be asked....is balistoil what YOU used during WW1?:D :D

Or, uhhhh, heh heh heh....couldn't help myself, yanno?

I like the PB foaming penetrant....seems to work like magic to me...

scoot
  7. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

Sorry for getting off track earlier. This will be the last time, honest. Ironhorse: PAM might work, or if you're watching calories, try some Canola oil in a spray can.:D

NOW with all of that said, I don't use "spray-on" lubricants because they put too much oil on things. Remember the old sayings " Just a little drop goes a long way" and the other one: "If a lttle is good, a lot is not better" (Remember cleaning and oiling M1's anyone?)

So what's the point of spraying it on if you have to wipe most of it off?:rolleyes: (Unless you are seeking saturation like when attemting to loosen rusty bolts, etc.)
  8. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Well ironhorse, that all depends on if I’m trying to lube or penetrate and ‘what’ I’m trying to lube or penetrate. I do use WD40 for most household lubricating chores. WD40 for nut/bolts and basic cleaning of the cycle. When it comes to chains, cables and actual penetrating of objects there are much better lubes/chemicals out there for the specific job.

My.02
  9. Retired smoke eater

Retired smoke eater New Member

lubricants

I don't know who came up with this thread but this is too easy!!
    Definitely K-Y. Works equally well on front or rear-end applications.
    However, personally, I find that WD-40 works very well on motorcycle applications.
  10. FLTRIDER

FLTRIDER New Member

Hands down, WD-40 is a great product but I will NOT jump up and down proclaiming it's superior lubricating properties in "most" situations. The reason being is that I have been Enlighten by my partner as to a Product called ;
    Tri-Flow Aerosol Lube
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    WD, or Water Displacement Mix #40 I believe is GREAT for "Stuff" but when I want lube, I use LUBE, not glorified diesel fuel.

Regarding a penetrant, well, a penetrant we use on Nuts and Bolts etc,
    PB Penetrating Catalyst
    [​IMG]

Do NOT knock it, till you have tried it. I have tried LOTS of stuff and I have been turning tools for over 35 years, and these 2 products are what "I" run for...
  11. bobsled

bobsled New Member

wd 40

I came across this site for info on winterizing from the main page. the author said never , ever use wd40 on your ride . Why?
  12. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

it is a magnet for dirt and dust.....it leaves residue that is difficult to remove, and is not really a lube...it penetrates..and displaces water...............
    chuck
  13. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Howe's Multi-Purpose Lubricant. Non better anyplace. I bought my last bottle from a Mac Tool Dealer. Great Stuff and it makes WD-40 look like water.
    :)
  14. SkyKing

SkyKing New Member

I've got like 30 different lube types on my shelf. Always looking for a new wonder lube. LPS products have always been the best all around. Have wd-40 but it is on the bottom of the list. If you lub your door (house doors) hinges with wd-40 they will start squeeking after a while. Makes me wonder about the lubricating properties. Also do like the tri-flow products, too.
  15. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

WD-40 was formulated to disburse water, not lubricate. In fact there's no lubricant in it. WD40 is actually corrosive with a parafin (wax). The parafin is what quiets that sqeaky hinge, but when that wears off the penetrant is left as a corrosive.