1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Filter Changes

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by dukeofdirt, May 2, 2007.

1. dukeofdirt

dukeofdirt New Member

Has anyone figured a way to minimize the mess we all face when we change
    our filters? It's almost worth the stealers price just to avoid the hassle. There must be a better way!?
  2. bk166

bk166 New Member

You can buy the little plastic trough from several places like Denise Kirk and E-Glide I think. I made a plastic trough out of an empty oil quart. Prior to that, I used old tin foil I saved from the house to make a trough to catch the oil. Once the filter gives up what it has, I put a paper shop towel in the hole to catch it.
  3. Sportster4Me

Sportster4Me New Member

Like said earlier,you can buy the the different types of troughs. I myself have taken a 2 liter plastic coke bottle and cut the larger end to fit into the space needed. Leaveing the smaller (opening) end intact,which makes for a funnel to drain oil into a "catch can". :cool:
  4. dukeofdirt

dukeofdirt New Member

Thanks, y'all. I had a slick (no pun intended) little gizmo for my FLSTF but
    it won't fit my FLHR. The suggestions are much appreciated.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i have used cardboard from the filter, tinfoil, plastic, ect.....built a good one from some thin tin....works as good as the others, and i dont have to keep makin one.....i also punch a hole in the top and bottom (looking at the end) to drain the oil from the filter while im doing other stuff...........then unscrew it
  6. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

just an old piece of plastic milk jug works for me and then I don't run the chance of scratching something also be careful when you remove the filter as that litttle sensor can be damaged
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Like others I usually make one. I use a section of cardboard that I cut to fit but like the idea of the coke plastic bottle, gotta try that one myself.
    I have a small plastic oil pan that I put under the cardboard end and let the oil from the filter area drain as I drain the main oil.

Your better to do your own oil change. The few times I have taken my bike into the dealer for an oil change it drips oil and they leave it a mess, no thanks. The last time, the guy left the drain plug only hand tight. :angry:
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I use the cardboard & just throw it away , I like chuck's little thin tin & the coke bottle idea's , Coke bottle would better around here as I have my E glide & my daughter's 883C , so sound's like I could make it fit both
    :cool:
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i think i am gonna try the coke bottle also......
  10. Clem

Clem New Member

Aluminun foil works just fine, then you ball it up and throw it at someone. I bought one of the 'troughs' and it keeps the oil off the engine 'fairly' well then allows it to drain onto my foot peg. I still needed aluminum foil...