1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Finally!!! I can tell you guys...

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Hot01, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I've been dying to tell you guys about this new project I'm working on, but I couldn't say anything until we sealed the deal today.

You may have heard of Laura Klock, the land speed record holder for a bagger. She and her husband own Klock Werks Kustom Cycles. She also runs a program called Helping with Horsepower.

Almost a year ago, the owner/editor of Thunder Roads Colorado and I were driving home from a meeting in Denver, and she asked if I'd be interested in a project that involved getting a group of at-risk girls together to build a motorcycle. I was very interested, and we had several meetings with folks and found out there was a ton of stuff we'd have to prepare for to get the project off the ground.

Around that time, we learned about the Biker Belles ride in Sturgis with some of the proceeds going to Laura's Helping with Horsepower program, which was exactly what we wanted to do. When we were at the run at Sturgis, we spoke with Laura and learned she wanted to branch out and have her program go nationwide.

Linda (the Thunder Roads editor), spoke to a woman she knows who runs the Boys and Girls Club in northern Colorado, and the woman was very interested in getting involved, which was great because they can handle all the yucky stuff like insurance and background checks, etc.

Laura liked us, and after some e-mails and phone calls and video conferencing, we are now moving ahead with the project as of today. When Laura mentioned the project to one of the owners of Vance and Hines, they immediately wrote a check for $10,000 as a donation to the program. We have a tool company that is donating tools for the build.

We are the pilot program to help Laura work out the kinks with taking the program nationwide.

Freaking awesome! Helping kids and building motorcycles. How cool is that? :D
  2. ultra200922

ultra200922 Active Member

Very cool, keep us updated.:cool:
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Abby, that is really a great sounding program your getting involved in. Sounds like some fun projects. :D
    Way cool about V&H donating those funds :D
  4. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Apparently Mustang seats is in too.
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I just read there web page , :) congrats on getting involed is seach a good project to help kids :cool:
  6. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Congrats!!!!! :cheers:
  7. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Sounds very good.
  8. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

that is great abby..........if i can help, let me know............
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Fantastic, hopefully you'll get on TV and
    knock those turkey teutulls off the screen!
  11. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

she has my vote!!!!:D
  12. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Now that would be really cool
  13. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Now I am even happier with my Vance & Hines ProPipes and my Mustang seat!

Good job getting this together, and good luck going forward!
    :cheers:
  14. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Abby, that's exactly the kind of project that should be on the Discovery Channel. I'd bet they would be interested, especially if it's all women doing this build.
  15. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Thanks for your support! I'm not sure if we're going to be all girls. Because the Boys and Girls Club is providing so much for us (secure location, insurance, grant funds to cover expenses, etc), we're letting them pick the kids they think will benefit most. While there are programs out there where they are building from the ground up, we're mostly doing bolt-on repairs on a lightly damaged bike. No frame cutting or welding or anything crazy like that, except we do have a local shop, Phat Rides, who's jumping on board and they can do that stuff.

There will be a launch with all of the media. Hopefully we'll get Laura and Dave (her partner in the HwH part of things) down here for that. Laura is awesome, a real pleasure to work with. If you're a Christian, you'll love this video: Laura Klock - I am Second What a great story of setting the land speed record.
  16. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Very cool Abby,
    You going to the Show & Swap in Denver this year? We have our same ol spot.
  17. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I'll be there, but I'm not getting a booth. I'll be doing book signings a couple of times a day at the Thunder Roads booth, and Linda and I will be out and about talking about the new program. I couldn't be chained to my hole in the wall this year. I'll definitely stop by to visit you guys. :)
  18. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Cool, I'll bring my copy of your book for an autograph.
    I'm excited to here more about the new program, It's great to get young people involved in motorcycling and bike building.
    C U then
  19. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

HarleysLR, when and where is the show this year? Where will your booth be located?
  20. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Show is at the Western Sportsmen Complex off I-70, by the Coliseum.

Colorado Motorcycle Show and Swap-Denver Show

Colorado Black Sheep booth is #102 SNW, lower level.

When you go in it's to your left, 3/4 of the way toward the back and down some stairs and to your left again, or just west of the stadium floor level down a ramp and to your right.
    There are several ways to get to the lower level.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Attached Files: