1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

First 500 in

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Jun 20, 2014.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Columbia Harley in Vancouver WA got their first one in today. Think I might ride over and take a look at it.
    Anyone seen one yet.

image.jpg
  2. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

I'd like to see how the new 750 compares with the Yamaha Bolt. I'm sure I'll see a review on the tow together soon. Heck, I'd like to see how it compares with the Sportster.
  3. FLHTbiker

Rode up to Columbia Harley and put my 01 Springer on consignment. Looked at that 500, man that is a small bike. Reminds me of a standard. Way to small for me and the price was 8400.00

It has a full size motorcycle radiator in the from with a cooling fan just like the Honda bikes and others.
  4. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Haven't seen one yet. $8400 for 500 cc's sounds a bit high. For a few thousand more you could get a Sporty. Not crazy about liquid cooled bikes - in fact, I don't like them at all. Radiators and fans belong on cages, not on motorcycles (IMO). Just ends up being one more maintenance chore most riders in the age group they are targeting will ignore.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  5. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I will be test riding the 750 once we get them here.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  6. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Texas between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls
    I'm actually hoping the 750 can be turned into a small tourer. Like the FXRT. I'd love to get an unmolested FXRT though.
  7. Roadster guy

I don't know if a 750 would have enough balls for touring once loaded down with bags and windshield, and padded seat, and backrest...
  8. FLHTbiker

I remember when a 750 Honda was considered a big bike. Had one for several years and rode all over Oregon with it.
  9. JohnnyBiker

Remember, that engine is a smaller version of the VRod engine. ;)
  10. Roadster guy

No replacement for displacement. :)
    Tomflhrci98 likes this.
  11. JohnnyBiker

True. But when an engine design works it just works. That VRod engine is a great engine from my understanding. It seems to be really dependable and it makes a crap load of power. A smaller version, especially for what this bike is geared for, I want one!
  12. Roadster guy

Would not the new Yamaha Bolt be a more cost effective alternative? Does not the V Rod have an expensive valve adjustment service around 20,000?
  13. JohnnyBiker

I know a thing about that Bolt that you are talking about. All Harley's have some sort of expensive adjustment at some point. Right????
  14. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Texas between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls
    I've heard that before. When I first started riding it was on a Honda 185 Twinstar. I wanted a windshield but found a batwing that would fit perfect. Everyone and I mean everyone said it would be a mistake to put it on. I not only put it on, I added saddlebags and tote box. The darn then actually performed better on fuel mileage. Now it was never a high speed bike to begin with but it never lost any speed either. Didn't I put a picture of that thing in here? I put 20k on that thing and then did the same thing to a Honda 400 Hawk. Put 43k on it. Are you all saying a Harley can't cut the mustard?
  15. Roadster guy

HaHaHa, no, just that the North American buying public in my opinion likes their toys to be bigger and faster. Motorcycles, snomobiles, and trucks have spent the last 15 yeears getting more loaded up, stretched out, and widened and we are all luckier for it. To go kit out a 750 V twin after having an Electra Glide might be too much shock to the system. Harley's core customer group would be liable to have a heart attack! Now in a city environment or an Indian village maybe it's great, but if I wanted a Honda Shadow, I'd have bought one.:)
    And yes, I had a 185 Twinstar back in the day, along with 360Ts, 400supersport, Shadows, Maxims, Secas, Katanas, all fun in their own way.
    If H-D has a ride event here, I will be in line to try one, as I think they are an interesting new addition to the lineup.
  16. Roadster guy

Yes, some maintenance costs are to be expected. But a university student or your typical 20something city dweller or guy in India without your financial resources may not want to give the dealer the coin to do it. I hope it does well, I hope they get it right, and I would like a chance to try one. It just does not appear to represent my view of where H-D comes from. But maybe it is where they need to start going..
  17. JohnnyBiker

In order for a company to survive, it must diversify. PERIOD!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Roadster guy likes this.
  18. FLHTbiker

To a point
  19. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

It aint made here I cant bring myself to even consider that piece of crap to be called a harley .its a hyosung with harley emblems .via assembly in india cuz chinas labor is getting expensive .yes the motor is a nice design no complaints there but I will not support the loss of work for a employee owned company. Why the big wigs made that decision I have no idea
  20. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2