1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

First Gear Suit

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Jan 10, 2011.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Got several people that have been talkin about ridin in the cold with this suit.

Cycle Gear - FIRSTGEAR: Thermo One-Piece Motorcycle Suit, BLACK/GRAY

[​IMG]

THERMO TEXTILE 1-PIECE SUIT
    100% waterproof, 210 denier Hypertex
    120-gram polyester insulation
    Full storm flap closures on zippers, pockets and cuffs
    Cargo storage pockets
    Elasticized ankle closures and adjustable waist
    2-year limited warranty

Ive ridden in 5-12 degree F temps for more than 30 minutes at a time, reaching brief highway speeds up to triple digits, and with only wearing normal clothes underneath, (long sleeve shirt & jogging pants) & the only thing that got chilled (not cold) was my neck area. While riding, the collar provides adequit wind protection with a full face helmet, but whenever I look down at my instruments, I can feel the cold air on my neck.

Ive read other posts talking about Balaclavas, but I havent really felt I needed one. I actually went out and bought one, and if I were going on a long trip in sub-freezing weather, I may use it, (thus still haven't) But Ive found for trips less than an hour, its not really an issue.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i think you posted and pasted that man.........please, you dont stick your nose out under 50 degrees.................
  3. Wideglide85

Wideglide85 Active Member

I have a First Gear "Kilamanjaro" jacket. I love it! Rode home from Lincoln one evening, it was 37 degrees out when I left. 110 miles later only my toes were cold. Just wore a sweatshirt underneath the jacket, with long johns, jeans & leather chaps. No electrically heated anything. Guess I need insulated boots though. First Gear makes some good ridin' stuff.
  4. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I have a Kilimanjaro jacket and first gear pants. I jut use a gerbings electric liner in place of the original liner..now there's no getting cold at all...good clothing.
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

First gear is great stuff and excellent quality but like Chuck said you don't need em cause you wont go out unless its 60 F and when its that warm yea don't need any cold weather gear.
    I rode today, 70 miles and temp was 35 out. We didn't even have any electric gear on, just the heated grips. Had my heavy leather coat on, chaps no long johns Red wing insulated motorcycle boots, leather gloves. Stayed warm the whole time.