1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

First Long Ride

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 18, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I know that most people live in a more urbanized area than I do, but today is going to the first time that I take my bike out for a long ride.(By this I mean more than a 20 mile jaunt). I am planning to head to the Twin Cities area, then hit HWY 169 S to Mankato. I am just hopping on the bike and hit some dealers that I enjoy and continue my search for my next ride. Not sure what to expect other than my ride performing perfect,(especially after I got my gas issue resolved).
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

cool!!! let us know how it goes!
  3. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

You may not want to stop - my first ride on my 'King was 501 miles.........
    :cheers:
  4. JohnnyBiker

Well today I logged about 125 miles. I started off at about 11:45 a.m. and I headed to Eden Prairie MN which is about 55 miles east of where I live. I will have to say that it was a warm and very windy day. I guess the wind was blowing about 30 mph and the travel speed most of the way is 65. Everything started off well until I was I was about have way there and then all of a sudden I had a few carb farts and the bike would lose power, it would not quit, just lose power and all of a sudden the power would kick in full strength. It did this a couple of times, but I mad it to Eden Prairie. On my way back, the bike ended up stalling on me like it did when I was having those gas issues because of a dirty tank. I pulled over and of course, another person on a bike (Harley of course) pulled over and asked if everything was ok? I said that I thought so. I switched my reserve on and I took off. I did not have any issues after that. I guess now I have an idea of what kind of milage I am getting. What freaked me out was that I was about 5 miles away from the next town. They had done a whole lot of road construction in that area, I followed the signs but it took me to an area that I haven't traveled in probably 15 years. I was pooping because I was not sure how much I had in the tank so I could refuel. I was able to find my way and made it home ok.

I think that I will now know that if my bike starts sputtering like that again that I will just flip the reserve on. :D

Other than that, it was really fun. For now I refuse to ride with other people. maybe I need to rethink that.
  5. JohnnyBiker

Man 501 miles! Obn my bike 501 miles would kill me. Not only that I just do not have the time to do that. I wish I did though.:angry:
  6. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Just git up earlier in the morning and leave when the sun comes up - you'd be surprized how far ya can go in 12 or 15 hours. Don't worry about a destenation jus pick a direction and roll. It's the trip that counts not the destenation that counts!:)
  7. JohnnyBiker

I would love to do that but with school and all, I am just not able to take that much time to go and ride. Somedays there is just too much going on. :(
  8. JohnnyBiker

I think that people that ride an HD are the best people in the motorcycle world, and this why. No matter where you are, there is another person that rides a Harley, you always have stories to share, and there is just a mutual respect. An example of the respect is if one HD is sitting on the side of the road, for whatever reason and another HD passes, he/she will stop to see if everything is OK. I have never seen that with a metric bike. It is funny, when I am just cruising around my home town, anyone on a Harley will wave to each other, me I like to wave to everyone that is on a bike, but I have noticed that metric riders do not wave to Harley riders! :wtf: Can anyone explain this?
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

too busy with all the bluetooths,gps's,radios...ect...........no time to wave........lol
  10. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Hard to translate a wave into Americanize when yer ridin nippon's finest!:roflmao::roflmao:
  11. JohnnyBiker

A buddy of mine that has a Harley uses a GPS!:banghead: I give him as much crap as I can whenever I see that thing plugged in.